Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powersteering pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Default Powersteering pump

I have a Honda Accord v-6 , when it's cold the powersteering pump makes noise .
The steering in the car is fine , but I notice when it's cold on start up the the pump makes noise , when car is standing still and I turn the wheel from left to right it also makes noise and sometimes the power steering fluid in reserve foams up.. Sometimes when driving it still makes a noise and sometimes the noise goes away.. Please help!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 AM

for hondas make sure you only put in honda brand tranny and power steering fluids.

did you let the fluid level go way down? if so you might have to bleed the system by putting the front on a jack and turning the steering wheel back and forth. unless this procedure changed. it's rare for the power steering pump to go out. my 93 is still on the original. i change out the fluid every 5 years or so. also you mentioned the noise but what about the fedback from the steering wheel? is it the same? is it stiffing and loosing?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Default Steering

The steering is fine just the noise from the pump and the foaming in the reserviour.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Default hi

trying changing the resivour there is a screen in the bottom you probably cant see, newer odysseys have the foaming problem and thats the fix. you can also flush by taking off the small hose on the res plug it with your finger at the res and put the hose in a container. then have someone start the car. flush through at least one bottle/USE HONDA FLUID. NEED THREE BOTTLE FOR THE WHOLE JOB.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Default POWERSTEERING SQUEEk

IDK if Im too late but I had the same EXACT problem. I got it fixed yesterday! You say its foaming up I had that problem along with the squeeking when I turn my wheel too for the first 10-15 minutes when I turn on my car in the morning.

With my car it is the Powersteering Pressure Hose. I got it checked out at Firestone.. Bought the parts at Honda dealer and got my dad to replace it for me instead. What happened was theres a leak in the Powersteering pressure hose.. When the car is left alone for more than a certain amount of hours, air starts to go in through that hole and into the hose.. so when you turn on the car, its trying to push out the air causing the squeeking noise.

Got it fixed yesterday, this morning i turned on my car and drove it around and the noise is gone. Hope that helps! Oh and btw, its very common in the 03-05 accords!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 PM

And if that is the case with your car, your also gonna have to take out all the old powersteering fluid and replace with new ones