Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Rear Brake SMOKING HOT!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Default Rear Brake SMOKING HOT!!!!!!!

94 ACCORD EX Left Rear Disc Brake is draging. Replaced Caliper now the new one is also draging real bad! Tried bleeding replaced pads but brake still drags. Brake pedal does not feel solid but you can pump it up. ABS had to pull fuse because pump would not cut off years ago. I do not want to just throw parts at it need to figure it out need car. Left rear Caliper and Disc get smoking HOT.

Last edited by mango02; 01-23-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM

First thing to check would be to see if the caliper cylinders are sticking. If they are then replace the seals and clean the pistons thoroughly, replace if pitted or worn.Clean and lube the caliper slides.Good luck and let us know if this works.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 AM

I had a similar problem with my rear right. The emergency brake line had gotten kink from some string that had gotten wrap around the lines. Cut the line and was good to go. Had you done any adjusting to the brake line? or it might need adjusting.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 AM

Good point,I didn't think of that.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM

E Brake disconected still locked up. Brand new Caliper doing the same as old caliper, pulled Caliper Bracket off cleaned and replaced reinstalled caliper LUBED everything no worn areas on anything. Right wheel not locked, Left brake LOCKED up again! wheel bearing tight. Not sure where to go from here??????

Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Mongo,check this out ,hope it helps http://www.tsmmfg.com/Troubleshooting.htm

Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM

buckwheat Thanks for your help. Brakes still locked up going to try to return NEW Caliper to Autozone and get new one then if no help will try to replace master brake cylinder. Trying to find some kind of valve or switch could be pluged. When you bleed the brakes the fluid flows normal.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Please let us know what you find,This has me perplexed also.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Default Freaking flex brake line..........

Replaced Brake Calipers TWICE no help. I would bleed all the brakes no help. Brakes would bleed off air and act normal but brake pedal would still feel sponge. Finaly I put on an OLD REAR FLEX brake line on the rear brake where the problem started and BANG trouble went away. The FREAKING FLEXIBLE BRAKE LINE had some kind of blockage in it and would not let the fluid return! It would bleed fluid normal. It was the brake line all the time the only thing I never replaced!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Gald you found the problem Mongo,it had me baffled and I have been putting brakes on my own cars for 40 years,thanks for letting us know sir.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake SMOKING HOT!!!!!!!