Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy another or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Question Should I buy another or repair?

I purchased a 1998 Honda Accord new and currently have a little more than 200K miles. Car still runs good. I have frequent oil changes and I've replaced the usual: tires, battery, brakes, power steering, CV joints. Had the major 90 to 100,000 mile service. Apart from checking oil, checking air, changing a tire, changing the interior cabin air filter, and general cleaning, I don't do my own car repairs. Because I live about 45 min to an hour away from the dealership (and because it is probably less expensive)
I use a local mechanic to work on my car.

Because of the age of my car I made the decision to rent a car when I've needed to travel long distances Having a mechanical breakdown while on traveling on vacation can easily ruin it.

I've had the usual maintanence, repairs and replacements done: tires, batteries, oil changes, brakes, power steering, CV joint (I think), ignition repair, a few other things that have not been more than a couple of 100 bucks each to repair.

Recently, I found a hole in the breather and my windshield wiper only works when you hold the lever down. I went to the dealer to get these things fixed and get an oil change as well. Turns out that I also needed the major service (changing all the belts, water pump, coolant, cam crank and balance shaft seals, gear set o-rings)... Altogether, I spent about 1100 bucks for all. I was told that my car needed the main seal replaced. ( I forgot but my car has had a slow oil leak for about a year). I was told that my catalytic converter needed to be replaced. My county/city does not require emission inspections. These are potentially engine-killing problems if not repaired in time... and you don't know when that will be. Right now, I've paid 1100 bucks and potentially I have about 1200-1400 (is this too high?) worth of repairs that need to be done. According to Kelly Blue Book, my car is worth about 2000 bucks, perhaps less because some work is obviously needed.

I've read that if your repairs cost more than half of your car's blue book value, then you may be better off getting another car. So that leads me to ask... Questions:

1) THE BIG QUESTION: Do I repair and keep my car or buy something newer (perhaps a certified used Honda 2009 and upward). Here are the pros and cons...

Pros of keeping/cons of buying
As far as I know the engine is still good for now and will continue to be if I get these repairs done.
Still comfortable and fun to drive.
Insurance is cheaper.
No car payment.
The interior, though worn, still looks good.
I have a GPS and XM radio installed
AC and power locks and windows work just fine.
I don't mind so much if minor things happen such as spills, scratches etc.

Cons of keeping /Pros of buying:
My car has 200,000+ miles and I don't know what other repairs will be needed.
The fear of having a break-down on the road may keep me from doing the activities I like to do. I'd feel more confident with a newer car.
It's looking a bit rough: my trunk has a small dent that is now rusting. It was supposed to be fixed but wasn't.. don't want to bore you with details.
Paint on the roof has worn /is wearing away.
Expense of renting a car if I go travel more than 5 hours from home.
Newer cars have better gas mileage.
Newer cars may have more safety features.
I can afford to make a hefty down payment for a newer car.

2) If I buy, I don't plan to use the 98 Accord for the trade in. I know I won't get much for it. I would have the most flexibility by not trading.
I can sell the 98 Accord as is...
or get it repaired and sell it *
or keep it as a 2nd car for my family and I can always sell it later...
* problem is that I would not get my money back out of it...
Will people buy a car that needs this kind of repair?

3) What other mechanical problems should I anticipate for a car with 200,000+?

4) If I buy another Honda (a gently used Accord or Civic of CV-R) are there model years I should avoid?

5) Car manufacturers are increasing the MPG....do we anticipate much of jump in the next few years? If so, it may prudent for me to hold off getting another car until 2014-15.

6) Since I like to camp and go to festivals, etc, and I am wondering if I need to consider the CR-V mini SUV? I don't plan to go "off road" but I sometimes travel on dirt and gravel roads. The extra clearance is a bonus.

7) Could I get a better deal with my local mechanic (ASE certified but not employed by a Honda dealership service department) to install the catalytic converter and replace the seal-- but still get just as good results? I was told at the dealership that replacing the seal required a lot of experience and precision. It's critical to get it done right.

8) The time my car is spent out of commission because of repairs could be an issue. The dealership had to order the breather and the windshield wiper switch. The dealership is about 45 min. away. I was disappointed that I could not get those two things done in a single trip and will need to spend several hours next Saturday to do this.
If parts are needed, is more likely that they will need to be ordered --- mainly because of the age of my car?

This is a long post. I would appreciate your advice and guidance.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM

i would never bring my honda to a honda dealer for repairs because honda dealer charge way to much money there basically a rip off. take it somewhere else shop around you can find a better deal for the same work and i doubt the cat needs to be replaced.

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. My mom buys a car ea 5 years due to she sends her car to the dealer to do all work. after 5 years the car does have a tendency to nickle and dime you in repairs. Hondas can run 250k with not much problem. If you decide to purchase, it is better to go new. used cars you have no idea what was done or not. new car, you start fresh and know what has been done. If you are fortunate to find a good honda mech or any mech who can care for your car at a quality job, this would be nice. I buy used and new due to having fun fixing cars for myself.