Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something Bangs When I Turn Left

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Default Something Bangs When I Turn Left

Whenever i go to turn left, like a 90 degree turn or a slight swirve going about 30 miles, there are about 3-4 clicks/bangs heard about 0.5 seconds apart coming from somewhere. However, it only happens when im turning left and im braking at the same time, if in not braking and turning left it wont do it, could this have something to do with the brake pads?, my front brakes also squeak when the brake pedal is pushed lightly, are the problems related? any help would be great

Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

check your cv for looseness, check the ball joint, and tie rod ends. If your brakes squeel, it could be dusty, wash off with garden hose and nozzle, ( besure the rotors are cold, like before the first run of the day). If you have high miles on the pads, check to see if the tattle tail is rubbing the rotor, squeel will be high pitch and most of the time you are driving. How many miles do you have on the car? and when was the last brake pad changed?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 AM

i have 130,000 miles on it, i dont know when the pads where changed last, i do know that the "cv shafts" or something were changed, is that where the banging problems coming from you think? Ive actaully noticed today that it bangs when turning right aswell, but its not as loud. Still, i need to be braking for it to produce the noise. Is this a major problem?, can something fail or fall apart causing me to loose control and have an accident? i think thats the worst that could happen. thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

unable to determine if if major problem, we are still trying to trouble shoot the noise. were the cv shafts rebuilt, or factory new. If they were rebuilt, some shops do not know how to overhaul properly. Factory new or rebuilt is back to factory specs.
Check to see if your calipers are secured tight, 14mm bolts 2 on each side. check to see if the shafts (poles) that the front pads are secure.
Have you checked all the bushings and ball joints.
If you do not know much about the front end, go to a wheel alighnment shop and ask them to check your front end, due to the noises you hear ( discribe to them what you wrote to the forum. ) they will normally check for no charge and tell you what is or might be going on. After you have been told what the problem is, they will normally show you. If you are not familiar with the shop, tell them you will take the car home and advise your ( other half ) before fixing. Don't let the shop take advantage. From some of the members on this froum, it sounds like some Honda Dealers are taking advantage of their customers, especially females.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 AM

i dont know if this has anything to do with the banging but i shook my left front tyre the other day and it moved, like it was loose, (the nuts were tight), i took the tyre off and shook the whole brake caliper assembly and it also moved, not that much but still there is some slack..what does this mean? maybe the new cv shafts that were installed werent tightened properly? thanks for all your help btw

Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

if you moved your tires in a (left turn, right turn,) circular turn and it was loose with out the steering wheel not turning, it could be your ball joints or tie rods. pick up one side only and do the same thing and look at what is moving. doing it this way you have one tire solid on the ground and the wheel should not be able to shake much unless loose parts. If your cv was not put on tight, you could pull and push the wheel ( like removing the installing the wheel /tire) and it would clunk. your caliper will have little play but not much, if you can take it apart and check for ware, oblong holes, bent shafts worn shaft, this you can check for.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 PM

If your wheel has excessive play and its moving the rotor as well you have a bad wheel bearing. If you hear a roaring noise as your driving you need a wheel bearing. The banging could be the rotor hitting the bridge on the brakes.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 PM

could be bad cv joints if it does it when turning. id check the cv boots and see if any of them are torn. if a boot is turn that means water and dirt have gotten into the cv joint and it is no longer any good. best to replace with new axles

i doubt its the ball joints because it would be bumpin no matter if your goin straight or turning.

if your car goes into heavy vibrations when you are braking this could be caused by a loose brake caliper or maybe even a warped rotor

Last edited by bdmlilburn; 03-25-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 AM

i dont think it has anything to do with the cv joints cos there would be alot of clicking but like it said, its only when im braking and i lightly turn my steering wheel there are a few bangs (they are more like light bangs than clicks) so i dunno, ill just take it to someone and tell them the problem and hopefully they will identify and fix it....and there isnt any vibrations when i brake either

Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 PM

checked your tie rods, sway bars, and lower control arms for any damage?