Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Strangest Fuel pump bug ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Default Strangest Fuel pump bug ever

Hello all,
I'm new to this particular forum, but I'm hoping someone reading this has experienced my same problem and can offer some insight. I have a 95 honda accord LX. It came with the 2.2 NON VTEC, and long story short, it now has the VTEC. Aside from that, everything else is as it came from the factory.
This summer I started having problems with the car starting. It was random when it would start and when it wouldn't. Then it got to where it wouldn't start at all. After some diagnostics, I determined the fuel pump had gone out. Replaced it with a new pump assembly. No fix. The car would start sometimes, but only when facing down hill(yes it had plenty of gas). Then it would only start after sitting with the ignition switch on for 20-30 minutes at which point the fuel pump would finally kick on. After some more diagnostics and conferring with some mechanically inclined friends, I replaced the fuel pump relay. No change. The current starting procedure is as follows: 1- make sure the process is started at least 30 minutes prior to the time I need to leave. 2-put the key in the ignition and switch and turn to the on position 3-take a nap or find some way to pass the time for the next 20-30 minutes until the fuel pump kicks on 4-turn the key to start, put in gear, release the brake and take off
PLEASE HELP!