Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Default Upgraded brakes?

Hey everyone, I have an 04 Accord V6-6MT. The car only has 46k miles on it but my rotors are warped pretty bad. I read on another forum that this is common for these accords and the stock brakes. This gives me an excuse to upgrade my braking power. So far what I've seen is like 2 grand or more. I'm not looking to spend anywhere near that. Anyone know how big of rotors the Accord will support? Any other ideas?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums.. If you want more braking power have you looked into swapping the back from rotors to disks?? try this website

http://passwordjdm.com/4-x-100-Rear-...P1056C151.aspx

those rotors will fit on the car and there wont be too much other work just to run brake lines to the rear..

Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Did you mean convert the rear drums to rotors? Is there a difference between disks and rotors? The site you sent me was for a civic. I have an Accord that has four wheel disk brakes. Thanks though.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

i thought you had drums in the back and the rotors from the civic fit onto your accord.. i did not know you had 4 disks already.. why dont you just invest in some drilled and slotted rotors they arent too expensive and they make a world of difference

Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

I use Benbro rotors and thermal quiet brakes on the fit and 02 civc, 50k no problems, no warp. lots of lining left to use at this time.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Well Hayden, I think that is what I am gonna end up doing. It's just a lot less involved. I was just more or less curious to see what others have messed with so far. I was thinking about getting the same size rotors but slotted with that black zinc coating (cause i'm in the process of blacking everything out) and a good set of ceramic pads as well as steel braided lines. That should be more than necessary I'm thinking.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

to be honest i have an 88 prelude SI with the 4 disks and i upped the rotor and shoe size in the rear and left the front stock size just got drilled and slotted rotors and i was very impressed with how much of a difference it made.. and that will be nice lol rocking the honda version of the bat mobile

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

oh and as for the black zinc coating its useless... its over priced and it wears off pretty quickly so your paying the extra money to have black rotors for about 2 or 3 months max.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:16 AM

Haha, I was just told last weekend by some girl that my car looks like a mini bat mobile and that I should use that as a pickup line cause it would work. oh well, I don't know so much about the older preludes but I know my 95 civic's rear breaks were just about useless. I think its like 80% stopping power comes from the front. I replaced the shoes in the rear at about 115k. They were the original shoes and still had a third of the life left. I still replaced them cause it took hours to get a single drum apart since they haven't been opened up for twelve years. I was just wondering if it would have been better for you to put the oversized rotors and such on the front or were you trying to balance out the stopping power between the front and rear?

And thanks for the heads up on the zinc coated black rotors. I was afraid something like that would happen.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Also, I'm trying to find decent pads that won't leave so much break dust. I'm so sick of having to use my fingers to clean my rims from all the break dust since the brush can't get it all. The ones that are on there now are not cheap ones but they still leave a lot of dust. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Upgraded brakes?