Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Default What's the difference?

Hi, new to the forum and came here searching for an answer to the difference between a rack and pinion for a coupe or a sedan. Gotta replace mine and since the price is generally cheaper for the one for the sedan, I'm curious as to the difference.
Can someone tell me?
Thanks ahead of time for the answer!

Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 PM

You look it up on line
https://www.hondapartsonline.net/
Put in your info about the car and find out your answer

Old 04-06-2019, 11:41 PM
Default Not what my question was!

I can, and have, looked up part numbers, etc. My question is: Why is a suspension part different for a car that is identical except one has two doors and one has four? Everything should be the same under the car. 3.0 V6 in each, auto transmission, etc... So WHAT is different in the two rack and pinions that makes one for a sedan, and one for a coupe?
Trying to understand that, not how to find one!
Thanks again...

Originally Posted by avisitor
You look it up on line
https://www.hondapartsonline.net/
Put in your info about the car and find out your answer

Old 04-07-2019, 07:58 AM

You did not give details of your vehicle
Year and model (trim level), auto tran?????
For the EX, the rack is the same part number for both sedan and coupe

Would assume that the sedan and coupe have different body size or width
or the suspension is different in some way
So, rack is different size.???

Last edited by avisitor; 04-08-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

the difference between and coupe and sedan. the sedan with 4 doors made to carry more and heavier car. coupe is 2 door making it a lighter car but sportier.. sedan engine made stronger to compensate for weight, coupe engine for lighter weight. engine basic same, suspension is different, therefore rack and pinion part is different. info from carmax.com.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
the difference between and coupe and sedan. the sedan with 4 doors made to carry more and heavier car. coupe is 2 door making it a lighter car but sportier.. sedan engine made stronger to compensate for weight, coupe engine for lighter weight. engine basic same, suspension is different, therefore rack and pinion part is different. info from carmax.com.
Wait, first the engine is made stronger for sedan and then engine basic same??
Should be either stronger or the same. But, it is both?
Went to on-line parts and found part numbers for the rack and pinion to be the same for Accord 2007 EX sedan and coupe.

Guessing the computer programs, that look this stuff up, don't see the little differences in such vehicles.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:51 AM

2001, EX (title says "UEX"). I'm in the "Accord" forum section, so I thought that was a given. Other information was in original question.
This just makes no sense to me, but I always question things anyway.
The ONLY reason I am asking is the price difference.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Okay, finally just got the number for Cardone,called and asked a tech person, who gave me an answer I can accept and understand. It has to do with the input shaft length. My 2001, even though the sedan and coupe can have the same 3.0 V6 engine, requires the taller input shaft, and therefore, the 26-1797. Maybe this will help some of the other folks who were guessing.
Guess you just gotta go to a sure 'nuff pro for some answers.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkledoff
Hi, new to the forum and came here searching for an answer to the difference between a rack and pinion for a coupe or a sedan. Gotta replace mine and since the price is generally cheaper for the one for the sedan, I'm curious as to the difference.
Can someone tell me?
Thanks ahead of time for the answer!
Originally Posted by Tinkledoff
2001, EX (title says "UEX"). I'm in the "Accord" forum section, so I thought that was a given. Other information was in original question.
This just makes no sense to me, but I always question things anyway.
The ONLY reason I am asking is the price difference.
Year and trim level not in Original Question (Post)
For 2007 Accord EX rack and pinion was the same
Glad you got answer you can accept.

ACmech52 said it was different suspension
It was more a difference in geometry of the steering between the two models (coupe and sedan)

Last edited by avisitor; 04-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Never wanted to ask about my car specifically, just a general question about why there were two different rack and pinions for what looked to me to be identical cars, except one was a sedan, and one was a coupe.
All I got was guesses, and "go look it up online" (which I had done, and which generated my question about why they were different), so now I get these comments that remind me why I don't frequent forums and chatrooms.
I hope my answer that I posted about what Cardone told me will help someone else who tries to use this forum for genuine help, and not criticisms, detail picking and fault-finding.
Post your snarky replies-I won't be signing back on for any "help". You guys can have it.
And yes, I'm a danged ol' girl.

Quick Reply: What's the difference?