Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

13 civic exl

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 01:18 PM
Default 13 civic exl

Hi Im new to here... My civice with 304K is still going strong!!!
Ive literally just got my first check enginbe light which is never good to see.... my car was driving ok but I noticed a little lag (or slightly weird )in the exceleration occasionally ....thats it barely noticable....then I brought it to autozone as I was too far away from my mechanic....and had them pull the code.... it said most likely solution: throttle body injector unit..... P050A... then i drove to my mechanic and he was busy and just put his scanner on it and reset it and said he thought it was a miscommunication and it should be fine to drive.??!!....and to come back if it comes back.... so Im concerned and wondering what it could be that is causing the problem and light to come on in the first place regarding the possible throttle body injector being a potential problem....I plan to go back and get more info from my mechanic when hes not so busy too!! Im nervous because when I looked up this part its not cheap !!!! I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this please!!!! thanks

Old 04-25-2024, 09:01 PM

Help with what? Did the light come back?

Old 04-25-2024, 10:47 PM

Did you look up the P050A? DTC P050A stands for “Cold Start Idle Control System Performance,”. it is when the ECU can not control the engine's RPM.
Clogged air filters, IACV, faulty mass airflow sensors, vacuum leaks, ECT, throttle body, injectors and wiring issues can cause this trouble code.

"Throttle body injector"??? Throttle body injectors were when the EFI (electronic fuel injection) first came out.
They took out the carburetor and replaced it with one big injector where the carburetor use to be.
The Check engine light is unlikely to come back until you have gone thru several cold start cycles.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:20 AM

hi thanks very much....I got SUPER lucky and found the problem was a weird slit in the air intake boot ....and it was very strange how that cut could show up there were it was as it was in between the groves almost like it was done with a knife...on purpose....I had recently brought the car to a national tire place for a free inspection....first time there and im always a bit suspicious with places Ive never been before...the mecahnic who found it showed it to me and pushed it back inline and now the light never came back on whern before it was coming on every few days....all very stange ,..... im very happy at this point its not a throttle body injector replacement!!!!! I appreciate your information.....hey just want your opinion how many miles do you think I can reasonably get from my civic...its been taken care of but now Im driving it each day for work a lit of miles each day not highway miles??!! it shifts great....no real problems so far!!! thank you again Bob

Old 05-01-2024, 10:29 AM

hi the check engine light came back on and Im driving it with a small tear in the air intake boot that im getting fixed today....thanks that would answer my question why my rpm'sseemto float around strangly compared to normally....thanks alot I hope this does the trick and there is not anything else causing the problem!!!!