The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Civic Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/)
-   -   2000 Civic HX Intake and Exhaust (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/2000-civic-hx-intake-exhaust-8893/)

aerofranck 10-07-2013 12:38 PM

2000 Civic HX Intake and Exhaust

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Civic HX, with a 1.6 L D16Y5 engine.

This is a daily driver for me, and I am debating trying to get a little more power out of it. As it is right now, if there is someone else in the car it can barely get up to speed on freeway on-ramps. My first stop would be Intake and Exhaust, but I don't really know if it is worth it.

Are there other suggestions anyone has that would be more worth my money?

Thank,
aerofranck

lowlife9 10-07-2013 04:38 PM

no an intake and exhaust will gain you nothing noticeable on 1.6 4 cylinder even with a race header your looking at 5-7 hp increase nothing noticeable. these cars are eco boxes bolt on don't do anything. your only real option besides turbo or complete engine swap is to swap in the vtec head from an EX and then ad a stage 1 cam then the intake header exhaust. if your cars automatic then your really not going to make any gains just from an intake and exhaust.

aerofranck 10-08-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by lowlife9 (Post 21688)
your only real option besides turbo or complete engine swap is to swap in the vtec head from an EX and then ad a stage 1 cam then the intake header exhaust.

I do have a 5-speed, so that is helpful. When you say swap the head you basically mean replace the cam assembly with one from an EX correct. That seems like quite the overhaul. Are they direct replacements?

Also someone suggested I replace the CPU, do think this would be helpful?

Thank you for your help!

-aerofranck

lowlife9 10-08-2013 05:51 PM

the head is the top end valves lifters springs. yes it bolts on but you also need the ex ecu to run it. upgrading the computer on a stock engine is kinda pointless unless you have the stage 2 cam and i don't think you can use the stage 1 or 2 unless you have the ex head. you couldalso upgrade your clutch stage 1 or 2 and also install a short throw shifter.

aerofranck 10-09-2013 09:12 AM

The 2000 HW does have vtec-e, so it already has the 2 stage cams. But the 2nd stage kicks in around 3200rpm instead of the normal like 6000rpm.

I was thinking about upgrading the ecu so that I can get rid of the efficiency tune. If the stock cpu is tunable though, then there is no reason for that.

In regards to the clutch, that would just make it a quicker shift no? It would not add any hp.

Thanks,
-aerofranck

lowlife9 10-10-2013 11:49 AM

when i say stage 1 or 2 cam i mean the camshaft

aerofranck 10-11-2013 11:01 AM

I understand that. I am just pointing out that my engine is a vtec-e already, so it has the 2 stage camshaft.