Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

CAI for 2014 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Kai
Question CAI for 2014 Civic Si

Hey guys,

New to the forum, I was planning on installing a CAI on my ride once my warranty expires, but I've heard that in order to actually gain any benefit from a CAI kit (I plan on getting the Eibach CAI kit) I need to have my MAS tuned. Some people have told me that that isn't necessary and others have told me I'd be an idiot not to. Which is true and where can I get this done?

I have very little experience in the electronic aspects of newer vehicles considering I've only worked on my 89 CRX HF and 91 Civic Si and they were only maintenance jobs, nothing to increase performance.

I've linked the CAI kit that I was looking at below, thanks for the help!

~ Kai

K&NŽ - Honda Civic Si 2014 69 Series Typhoon Short Ram Intake Kit

Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 PM

that sensor will adjust itself over time once more colder air is introduced it could take days weeks for the computer to adjust or you could just reset the ECU manually. also stay away from K&N filters they require oil which can damage sensors i only use and recommend AEM dryflow systems. also that is a short ram intake not a cold air intake.

Last edited by lowlife9; 12-28-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Kai

Originally Posted by lowlife9
that sensor will adjust itself over time once more colder air is introduced it could take days weeks for the computer to adjust or you could just reset the ECU manually. also stay away from K&N filters they require oil which can damage sensors i only use and recommend AEM dryflow systems. also that is a short ram intake not a cold air intake.
Thanks for the advice Lowlife9!

I looked into it a bit more and found the pros and cons of CAI and SRI after what you said. Basically if I want pure performance go with CAI and if I want ease of installation and slight gains go SRI, right?

SRI doesn't require tuning of MAS in most cases whereas CAI may need it.

I found an actual CAI kit this time (http://www.carid.com/2014-honda-civi...-22799075.html)

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult would it be to instal for someone with light to moderate experience with car maintenance?

Thanks!

Last edited by Kai; 12-28-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 PM

regardless of short or cold air you still need to reset the ECU and perform a idle re-learn procedure. the reason i don't use a cold air intake is 1. because the gains between the two aren't very much 2. cleaning the filter is way easier its rite there and some cold air systems even require the bumper to be removed for installation and cleaning on your car i don't know if thats the case. 3. and the most important is cold air intake snake way down towards the ground and guess what happens when you drive your lowered car through a nice big puddle ??? its sucks in water and your engine is toast.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Kai

regardless of short or cold air you still need to reset the ECU and perform a idle re-learn procedure. the reason i don't use a cold air intake is 1. because the gains between the two aren't very much 2. cleaning the filter is way easier its rite there and some cold air systems even require the bumper to be removed for installation and cleaning on your car i don't know if thats the case. 3. and the most important is cold air intake snake way down towards the ground and guess what happens when you drive your lowered car through a nice big puddle ??? its sucks in water and your engine is toast.
Yeah, I've read up on the hydrolocking problem, but a lot of people said that unless you pretty much submerge it you should be fine.

I found a 40min how-to-video yesterday and it seemed like everything was do-able for me, but it might take me the whole day, haha!

I definitely agree that SRI is easier though, as for the ECU reset, the video just instructed me to disconnect the battery throughout the installation and that would do the job.

So if I were to change out my stock hood with a vented carbon fiber hood, would that help the SRI's performance?

Honda Civic Seibon TS Style Carbon Fiber Hood

I'm just worried that if I do swap hoods, that I won't be able to drive it when it rains since the SRI is pretty much located under the vents :/

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-29-2014, 04:41 PM

yes you can unplug the battery or the ECU fuse. i have a vented carbon VIS hood that has removable fiber glass inserts under the vents that unscrew there not completely water tight but they do help. a thin rubber gaskit or weather striping would seal it completely im guessing the siebon would also have them call and find out. ive been through some massive puddles that would have definitely sucked up water so i steer clear of CAIs. i always recommend injen hydro shield for people with cai's there not completely water proof but more water resistant so its a cheap insurance its also a pre-filter the less you have to remove the bumper to clean the filter the better Injen - : Pre Filters - Performance Air Intake Systems, Exhaust Systems, Turbo Components, and Air Filters for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV's, Boats, and more!

Last edited by lowlife9; 12-29-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Kai

Alright, so at the moment I'm leaning toward SRI because the thought of hydrolocking scares the crap out of me.

Would it be a good idea to install a SRI + Pre-filter along with the vented Seibon hood that has a custom splash guard mounted on the interior side to prevent saturation during heavy rains?

I'm just trying to think how I would mount the guard without drilling into the hood...I don't think epoxy would hold under the heat inside the engine bay :/

Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 PM

are you even sure the vents are even near the intake i thought the side vents on my hood would be over my intake but they were directly over my strut mounts nowhere near the intake.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Kai

are you even sure the vents are even near the intake i thought the side vents on my hood would be over my intake but they were directly over my strut mounts nowhere near the intake.
I haven't taken any measurements yet, but judging by this pic the last vent seems pretty close to where the SRI would sit once installed.

Although it might completely cover the filter itself, better safe than sorry.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:30 PM

yeah i see what you mean that hood looks like it was designed to collect rain water. what about the other electrical components and not to mention rust thats going to happen from being exposed to water. i would either completely seal the vents permanently or get a OEM style carbon fiber hood. side note i permanently sealed the vents on my hood because of rust i actually wish i had got the OEM carbon hood instead its cheaper also.

Last edited by lowlife9; 12-31-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: CAI for 2014 Civic Si