Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Civic EX 2010 Temperature Gauge not working right

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 02:01 PM
Default Civic EX 2010 Temperature Gauge not working right

On the instrument panel, gauge always registers one "bar" at start up regardless of outside temperature, then climbs to halfway relatively quickly even though I only travel a couple of miles at a time. Car has always registered nothing on the gauge until the engine started to get really warm, then it would go up really slowly, only increasing by one bar at a time and never beyond 1/2 way unless the A/C was on. Midas found no codes, replaced the sensor, replaced the thermostat, fan works slow but still operates. They pointed to the ECU but there are absolutely no other issues with the car, so the problem being the ECU is highly unlikely. The community I live in is Loaded with critters, esp rabbits that hang out around the cars a lot and I was informed by two residents here that they had experienced chewed wires with their vehicles parked in the same lot, and their mechanics ID'd rabbits as the likely culprit, esp because some wires apparently contain something that comes from a vegetable source(?), explaining the attraction but I don't know if this is possible or not. Midas reimbursed me for their diagnostic charge because they couldn't fix it but I need to know if the wiring makes sense and if so, how can it be concisely explained to a new shop, in order to minimize the further expense? Please Help-I need to do a 400 mile road trip but shouldn't until this gets fixed!

Old 05-22-2023, 08:46 PM

Midas is not a place to do wiring. If the rodents get your wiring you will always find evidence of the animals. You shouldn't have much problem finding the wiring. They will mess up an area.