Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

EJ2 runs like rotary at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Exclamation EJ2 runs like rotary at startup?

Okay so recently I have been having this problem with my Civic only at the start-up though. Just about every time I start my Civic it runs pretty rough and sounds like a rotary engine, I have no clue what this means due to the fact that I've never encountered a problem like this. the problem varies in intensity sometimes it'll do it lightly for a couple secs and I guess level itself out in a way of speaking or it'll start-up very rough and won't level out until I rev up the engine the engine is a D15B7 w/auto trans no VTEC, could a fuel/air mixture be off? possibly replace fuel filter maybe? haven't chacked oil for milkiness yet but could it be a crack in the block and maybe coolant is leaking inside cylinders making it hard for start-up then once coolant is burnt off it will idle normal?

Please help? any ideas or suggestions would be great thank you.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 PM

What year is the car?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
What year is the car?

Well it was made 11/94 is what it says in the door jamb but my registration says 95. I know it's got EJ2 in all the vins, Dash vin, Firewall vin, Door jamb vin, why? is there something made wrong with my particular year?

Edit: I've included a zip file containing a sound sample of what it sounds like when it starts up. and yes I messed up on the first start up lol

Attached Files
File Type: zip
02-01-11_1230.zip (43.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by insanetrout; 02-02-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Try cleaning the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner ,not carb cleaner ,check for weak return springs,And vaccum leaks,fuel filter .Also if you are standing by the pass. side tire look at your throttle body on the back top side you will see or top left side you will see a gold colored flat headed screw....thats the idel screw advance until smooth or advance your distributor.... it has 3 12 or 14mm bolts.... with motor off losen em' and turn it clockways or top toward the front bumber.... good luck ,Bobby

Last edited by bucwheat; 02-02-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Try cleaning the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner ,not carb cleaner ,check for weak return springs,And vaccum leaks,fuel filter .Also if you are standing by the pass. side tire look at your throttle body on the back top side you will see or top left side you will see a gold colored flat headed screw....thats the idel screw advance until smooth or advance your distributor.... it has 3 12 or 14mm bolts.... with motor off losen em' and turn it clockways or top toward the front bumber.... good luck ,Bobby
okay I'll try some of these things out this weekend and see what happens. thanks for the quick reply man I appreciate your help