Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Epoxy for windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Default Epoxy for windows?

Hi....the front passenger-side window on my 95 Civic has come loose from its slot in the window regulator. I took off the door panel and put it back in the slot, tightening the mounting bolts around the bracket, but the window came loose again the next time I tried to lower it. It looks like there is a lot of dried adhesive around the brackets that hold the window.

1) Does anybody know what kind of adhesive this is? Where can I get it?

2) Also, do you think that is the reason for the window coming loose or is there some mechanical/structural problem that obstructs smooth window operation?

Thanks for any help on the matter!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM

welcome to the forum,I used urethane adhesive by Dow Automotive. Be sure to lightly sand the area of the window and the clip that you are adhering to the window. Needs 24 hours to cure.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
welcome to the forum,I used urethane adhesive by Dow Automotive. Be sure to lightly sand the area of the window and the clip that you are adhering to the window. Needs 24 hours to cure.

I agree! Hondas are also surprisingly easy to take apart panel by panel. I have had some experiences removing door panels and messing with windows. The Civics are especially tricky because they are so fine tuned that the window will sometimes get dislodged and won't work till you hit a big bump that knocks it back into place. Anyway, another solution is a bit of electrical tape. It may sound strange - but electrical tape is thin and sturdy and can do the job.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Thanks guys for your helpful responses!

Bucwheat, if I go the adhesive route, what kind of sandpaper do you think is good for the glass and bracket? Any particular grit or a special type of material (emery)?