Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Glass pane sounding rattling sound?? (2013 Civic Coupe LX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Default Glass pane sounding rattling sound?? (2013 Civic Coupe LX)

Just got a new 2013 Honda Civic Coupe LX last Friday (7/12) and of course I didn't hear this during the test drive (and yes I had the radio off; I know salesman tactics). Now I've been hearing a rattling sound that sounds to me like a glass pane subtly rattling when I hit uneven road/small bumps. It's not THAT loud but it's noticeable without the radio on, and of course with a new car you want everything to be perfect. Well I drove my dad around the block in it and he heard it too then he sat in the back to try to pinpoint the source. We couldn't.... he thought it was coming from somewhere in the back... maybe where the back seats meet the back of the trunk. He tightened the spare tire down but that wasn't it... he undid the seatbelts thinking those were rattling together but that wasn't it. There is one piece in the trunk and I have no idea what it is... looks like a plastic handle (at the top left) but I haven't figured out what it does yet. Any ideas???

Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 AM

Inside trunk release or emergency gas door release.Pull your Ebrake up one notch and see if that was the rattle.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

my 07 fit had the same tapping sound in the front under the dash above the radio area.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
my 07 fit had the same tapping sound in the front under the dash above the radio area.
Did you just ignore it or what did you do? My sound definitely sounds like a glass pane rattling to the back and right of me while I'm driving. I notice a little black door stopping looking thing on that side of the rear windshield only (is that used to pop the glass out)?? But I still haven't been able to figure out the source and have no idea how the dealer could.

My friend says they can just hook it up to a computer but I doubt they can detect a sound from that....

Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

did not do anything, left it alone. still making the rattling noise only on bumps. if you are under warranty, take it in to the dealer and keep asking to fix the noise. take them on the drive you do to hear the rattling. They will fix it if under warranty.