Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 04:58 PM
Default Help

I just bought a 02 Honda civic ex 1.7l 5spd coupe I originally took it to the shop to have the serp belt water pump ans timing belt replaced but when I went to go pick it up they told me they also replaced the alternator and I have no had nothing but problem I've replaced the battery I've replaced the alternator twice I've replaced the pig tail that goes to the alternator I've replaced the battery terminals but yet the battery light still flickers on and off the check engine light comes on but yet says no faulty codes detected the mileage disappears and reappears all gauges drop and don't move the engine losses power as if I'm driving in the wrong gear and now it has to have a jump box on it to run and as soon as you take it off it dies its only has 118k miles anyways its came out worse than when I brought it to them and they just want to randomly replace **** and hope it fixes it they mentioned the dash cluster and ecm as well as the relays can someone possibly give me an idea on what it could be I dont have the money to keep doing this let alone with someone who I don't think knows wtf they are doing

Old 05-27-2022, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i had an 02 civic 5 spd. at 235k miles never changed the alt. why did they replace the Alt, that is what might have started all your problems.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=acmech52;40253]welcome to the forum. i had an 02 civic 5 spd. at 235k miles never changed the alt. why did they replace the Alt, that is what might have started all your problems.[/QUOTE

They said it locked up and that’s why my serp belt broke but I never even approved the fix they never called to discuss it I literally went to pick up the car and got the bill so I’m only going off of what they have told me

Old 05-27-2022, 09:59 PM

Tell me about how the serp belt broke.Did it overheat?

Old 05-28-2022, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by grcauto
Tell me about how the serp belt broke.Did it overheat?
it was squealing then it made a really loud squeal and then went quite then the battery light came on and when I got to work I open the hood and it was just shredded and that’s the original reason why I took it to them but I figured if it was gonna sit at the shop go ahead and do the water pump since that was leaking and timing belt along with it but no no overheating
ive been messing with the car today I have it on with a jump box and it’s actually throwing a code now p0335 crankshaft position sensor a circuit

Last edited by Allegato; 05-28-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:28 AM

I'd have the shop that did the work finish fixing it but if you are going to do this yourself let's start here.
Does it start and run? How does it run?

Old 05-28-2022, 09:46 AM

I'd have the shop that did the work finish fixing it but if you are going to do this yourself let's start here.
Does it start and run? How does it run?
that’s the problem they want to keep charging me even though it never did this til they touched it
and it has to have a jump box in to run or it won’t even turn over but as long as it does it runs fine the minute I take the positive off or the jump box off period it shuts off before when I drove it from the shop to my work it ran okay but wouldn’t go over 3rpms and if I tried to get it higher it would misfire
would the timing belt or ecu cause all this?

Last edited by Allegato; 05-28-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:32 AM

When I do try to turn it over I hear tiny clicks that sounds like it's coming from relays

Old 05-28-2022, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Allegato
that’s the problem they want to keep charging me even though it never did this til they touched it
and it has to have a jump box in to run or it won’t even turn over but as long as it does it runs fine the minute I take the positive off or the jump box off period it shuts off before when I drove it from the shop to my work it ran okay but wouldn’t go over 3rpms and if I tried to get it higher it would misfire
would the timing belt or ecu cause all this?
You need to have good battery before trying to diagnose anything.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:27 AM

You need to have good battery before trying to diagnose anything.
ive bought 2 new batteries one when I first got the car and just last month there’s something that keeps draining it

Quick Reply: Help