Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Help, I have an "Idle Control System Malfunction"

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Default Help, I have an "Idle Control System Malfunction"

I have a '98 Civic HX with about 167,000 miles on it. Almost three weeks ago my check engine light came on. My car started jolting, pulsing while idling, and consuming a lot of gas. I went to auto zone and borrowed a OBDII sensor and got a "P0505 - Idle Control System Malfunction" error. I cleared the error, and my car started running fine. Last week, after about 350 miles, my light came on again and once again it began running rough. The first thing I noticed was my idle increased by about 500 rpm, and when I would give it gas, or let off the gas it would jolt. I disconnected the battery, the light went off, and my car ran fine, until today, about 200 miles later. It once again increased the idle, and was jolting.

Prior to all of this my car was idling extremely low, usually around 400 or 500 rpm. Several times it stalled on me while I was driving and came to a stop. My friend increased my idle so that it would be just below 1000. That was two days and 1200 miles before the first time the light came on. By the way, I am traveling at the moment, if you hadn't guessed by the milage.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Help, I have an "Idle Control System Malfunction"

Im having the same problem out of my 99 honda civic that has about 105,000 miles. At complete stops the car starts bogging down till it cuts off sometimes. I was getting ready to purchase a idle air control valve but didnt know if that would solve the problem. Lookin for help

Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 PM

That is what I have had a lot of people tell me, but both my brother (who's 3,000 miles away) and mechanic (who's about 1,200 miles away) are a little hesitant to jump straight to that because of the cost.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:30 AM

i had my idle increased and ran the car with no air filter for a while and everything seems to run smooth now

Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 PM

I would try adjusting the idle on the car, and see how that goes then go from there. that is what i would do if i was in your spot!

Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM

hey guys, i'm experiencing something similar. when i'm driving i can feel the rpm going up and down since i don't have a tach.
also when i'm coming to a complete stop my battery light starts to flicker and thenmy car just shuts off.
What could you guys recommend that i do?
Thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 AM

well..there are many possibilities that can cause the engine to idle rough or surge. a simple vacuum line that has a hole in it can cause engine surge. it can be the 02 sensor or the TPS. but in aprilEthereals case it is most likely a failing idle air control valve. take into consideration every possible problem before you make a decision. there are ways to diagnose the problem but it is tedious and time consuming....other then that good luck..fuel injection cars often have these problems..(especially hondas =P)