Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Honda Warranty, Problems with Hollywood Hondam Transmission Died After Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Default Honda Warranty, Problems with Hollywood Hondam Transmission Died After Work

I have a 2004 Honda Civic with 71,500 Miles Manual. Stock 100%.

In 2005 with 12k miles on it, I noticed problems and griding noises going into reverse. I took the car into Kolbe Honda to only be told that it was normal and that no repairs needed to be made.

4 years have passed with my Honda Care Expiring August 22nd, 2009.

I took my car into Honda of Hollywood and they decided to look into the Trasmission. They see problems with my reverse! They took my vehicle in on July 17th, 2009 and had the vehicle until August 3rd, 2009 (17 days) They "fixed" the problem once and when they test drove it out, according to the Service Manager, there were other "complications" they mentioned that they may have ordered the wrong part.

When I get my vehicle more than 2 weeks later they tell me, "You practically have a new transmission" (Service Manager There)

Parts Changed:
Bearing, Ball #10, Hondabond, Hldr (reverse shift), Piece, CAM (reverse lock), Fluid MT

2nd Page

Fork Fifth Shift, Gear (reverse idle), shaft (reverse gear), Bearing, Mainshaft, Gear Set, Bearing

Total Cost $1956.52 (Honda Care Paid)

PROBLEM

3 weeks later (1450 miles) I do commute . I noticed a whistling, possibly grinding noise that matches the strength of my "revving/ accelerating" I turned the vehicle in immediately to honda and their faces were WHITE. They held the car for two days and mentioned that it sounded like a loose bearing.

I was upset and had my friends that are Honda Lovers come down to hear me drive the car and get their opinion... after basic driving back and forth reversing, going on the freeway the following problems were noticable:

1) Fifth Gear Jolts an inch back each time I Accelerate
2) Weird obnoxious Whistling Sound from Transmission (Made me believe that it was magically supercharged lol)
3) When in reverse it wouldn't let me go out of reverse unless jimmied
4) 3rd, 4th and 1 time 5th, jumped into neutral while on the freeway driving home.

On Monday they say the following: Honda of Hollywood

1) We suggest you change your clutch like we told you the first time (Myself and my hardcore manual-driven friends don't notice any issue with clutch)
2) We see that a syncro is burned... this has to be your fault and you need to pay for everything to be fixed. (Were you the only driver? You must have gone from 5th to Reverse, or from 5th to 4th downshifting. Do you down shift?)

My Answer: I have a stock 104hp honda civic.. I don't do that rev matching stuff because it's a stock, daily driver. I don't abuse my car.

So with my practically "new transmission" (According to them on 08/03/09)... my syncro burns to a crisp in 1500 Miles of normal everyday driving?

And what would cause that whistling sound?

And why would the Fifth Gear twitch like it was possessed a couple days after taking it from the dealership?

PLEASE HELP!

Derrick

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 AM

these griding noise can be very awful in later stage..please go and have it checked properly.

Last edited by shalon234richard; 09-03-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Continue to document everthing you have done in writing. I beleive the turbo noise is from the transmission,( my 02 does this in 4th ) and also the shop messed up on the repairs. The clutch would not have anything to do with the poor workmenship of the trans. Call American Honda and tell them of the situation, they will probably tell you to give the dealer a chance to fix the car properly. Advised them of everthing you hear and has happened including the suggestion to change the clutch. Also tell them the clutch does not slip. ( normally when the trans is dropped for work, the clutch and flywheel is replaced or refaced. ) but not have to be done.