Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Idle Control Mafunction and Knock Sensor. Cause and Effect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Default Idle Control Mafunction and Knock Sensor. Cause and Effect?

I'm new so sorry if I missed something, I tried to search first. I have a 2000 Civic EX, 1.6L VTEC. I'm throwing two codes, Idle Control Malfunction and Knock Sensor.

Now, My car doesn't knock but I do have an idle issue. I'm assuming the idle problem causes the knock sensor to engage? But with my idle; when the car idles it seems to sit at a nice 1000-800. When you engage A/C,brakes or power steering though, the idle drops to 500-400 and sometimes will do it without stress in the first place. I've cleaned my throttle body and my IACV. What's the problem? We've also pulled my throttle cable the opposite way onto the bolt, to see if it sat too low. It doesn't because the idle wouldn't change when we tried to push it the opposite way.

Also, would having a knock sensor on engage safemode on my ECU? Because my VTEC seems non existent. I've heard it to be called "retard timing."

Is it a vacuum leak? Because that scenario scares me. It never dies, it just falls. Is it a gasket problem? I'm just looking for a path to take here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.