Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

manual trans oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Default manual trans oil change

Hi all. I'm happy to have joined your community, I am a new owner of a 98 Honda Civic DX 2dr 5speed beauty. I have had the car 1 week, and it is a beautiful car. My last car was a 93 Dodge Intrepid, and I loved that car as well. I love cars of all kinds, I used to have a preference to American over Imports, but I have evolved in my way of thinking in that all cars can be good and bad, depending on the actual car. I know Hondas are great cars, and I love my new civic.

I have a question for the experts here. How often do you guys change the manual transmission fluid? The car has 139,000 miles on it, clutch is great, and the timing belt has been changed at 105,000 (thank goodness) so I want to prolong the life of the car as much as possible. Can you guys give me tips on what I should do to it as far as the manual trans oil and other things I should do as well? I am car savy, and kind of technical, but not too hard core (I have desent tools, but don't have a piston head for an ashtray if you know what I mean ).

Thanks for any input in advance!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Default RE: manual trans oil change

The Manual says about every 30000 miles but your tranny wont die if you go longer but i would go ahead and change it just because the car is new to you and you dont know all the previous maintanance. its not to hard first ud do the drain plug which you will use an extension from your rachet, then undo the fill plug. After it is all drained into your collection pan make or get a funnel with a hose andmake it so it goes into the fill plug. Now tighten the drain plug and begin adding fluid to your funnel. I would reccomend using genuine Honda Fluid MTF for the smoothest shifting, but most hight quality 30 weight motor oil will work. You will know that the tranny is full when fluid starts to pour over the fill plug.