Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

muscle beats rice

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If you were to compare cubic in to cubic in, I beleive the rice develops more horse power per cubic in than a muscle car. Honda has cars in formula 1, Toyota has cars in Nascar developing 600-800 hp going at 200mph +
You might want to give a bit more detail about muscle cars and rice cars that you might want to capare with. American Muscle is v-8 all power and big blocks, rice is gas saver and l-4 micro blocks.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Alright, alright. If you are allowed to bring in hp per cubic inch on Nascars and Formula Ones then it's only fair I can bring in something that the American cars are built for; drag racing.
Let's take a top fuel dragster, which is a 500 cubic inch hemi-based motor and off the top of my head I believe it's 60 cubic inches per liter, so a 500 cubic inch motor is 8.3 liters?
Now at that ratio that motor is making 14HP/CI.
I'm assuming a 1.8 liter Honda motor is 108 cubic inches (I never hear the rice boys talk about displacement so I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct) but it would take 1,513HP to have a better power to weight ratio then a top fuel dragster.

And to make it even better, the only reason the hp/cubic inch ratio isn't better in a top fuel dragster is it's not necessary. They are such pigs that the rims are actually spinning inside the tire, even with beadlock rims. It would be pointless to make more power then that because the cars would be even slower.

Just remember, their is NO replacement for displacement.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

how true it is to have hp to point of no return. I don't know of any rice engine being used for fuel dragster set up, so no comparison that I know of. I do agree with NO replacement for displacement.