Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Newbie Replacing '95 Honda Civic engine - NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Default Newbie Replacing '95 Honda Civic engine - NEED HELP!

Hi all -

My recently purchased 95 honda civic lx has died. Apparently, the crank shaft fell off bottom of engine while running, consequently destroying at least bottom portion of engine.

i am trying to gain information on replacing entire engine, or at least bottom portion (head was just replaced along with valves). I am a newbie w/Honda's and not a car expert by any means.

If anyone has completed this job, please help me out with some info. I am trying to find out what my options are for engine replacement. Must new engine be from a 95 Honda Civic LX, or are there other models with same engine?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Scott

Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Default also have a vtech question..

If i find a suitable replacement 95 honda civic engine, does it matter if it is vtech? original engine was not vtech and i would only choose to put in a replacement vtech engine if there is no additional work/parts needed for this.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Technically you can place ANY D series motor in that car.. they are all interchangeable but i wouldnt suggent trying if you have never done so before.. he is the best thing to do.. first on your Block to the left of your exhaust manifold (aka Header) there should be a small part where the block sticks out with a code (example D16A5) or somewhere along those lines.. if you can give me that code i can tell you all the makes and models that that particular block and blocks that will interchange no problem come in.. Next for the block replacement i would go to my local auto parts store and get a haynes or chilton book on that particular car.. these books will give the best step by step advice a long with pictures