Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Oil leak after the head was replaced Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Default Oil leak after the head was replaced Need Help

I replaced the head on my 91 Honda Civic 1.5L. The exhaust valves were baked on the #2. 3 & 4 were cooked but not as bad as 2. #1 valves looked ok. I bought the reman head online and installed it. When I started it up it ran fine. It was surging a little but other then that it all seemed OK. Then I noticed an oil leak by the crank and was dripping (fast)out of the timming belt cover. I could not see exactly where the oil was coming from but, at best guess I figured it was a crank seal. I replaced the crank seal but I still have the leak. The car leaked a little oil before the head replacement but nothing close to this. I'm thinking some how the the oil path was blocked or I'm getting pressure some how to push the oil out the seal. I just can't imagen getting that much of an oil leak from an area that has no pressure. Or, could a oil pump failure produce a leak like that. Thanks in advance.