Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Please help, VTEC to non VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Default Please help, VTEC to non VTEC

I should preface this question with: "I'm a graduate student that knows little about engines; ignorant but not stupid". I had to replace the engine in my 2001 civic Ex 1.7L VTEC SOHC. I ordered the engine and my neighbor installed it (he's a Firestone manager, competent but not specialized in engine replacement). After removing the old engine, installing the new engine, and firing it up (it sounded good) he took it for a test drive. The engine cut-out at 3500 RPM. He wasn't certain what the problem was but after about 15 minutes I thought !OH ****! I realized that if they had sent me a non VTEC engine then the computer would be expecting to need to switch to the high RPM cam position. They sent me a non VTEC engine! He didn't catch the mistake and installed the engine (he wasn't sure what the cam solenoid was for). I can send the engine back for a VTEC and he can replace it again but I hate to do that to him. All I want is for the car to last a few more years. Is there anyway to change from a VTEC to a non VTEC without changing the computer? Can I somehow shut off the VTEC in the ECM? Will the air/fuel mixture be off?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Default RE: Please help, VTEC to non VTEC

go to a junkyard and get a lx or dx ecu. thats your only option. personally i would have them git you the right motor. you paid for the ex vtec so thats what you should get. or you can buy the ex cams$100-200) and buy a vtec solenoid ($35) then it will be vtec again.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Swap Back to the correct Engine. you will regret it always if you dont. Sorry for the misfortune..