Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Power windows...one works, three don't

Old 08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Default Power windows...one works, three don't

OK - this is on a 96 honda civic lx....dealing with this issue for a while, and decided to finally dig in and fig it out. I have a driver's window that works fine. All others will not. At one point, a neighborhood mechanic told me he "jumped" them and that they worked...so he suggested I buy a main switch (driver's door, with all four switches on it) I did, and same result. So now I'm ready to try the relay for the power windows, but I don't know for sure where it is.....i found the fuse box according to wiki answers, but the label does not list a "power window" relay, only a 40 amp fuse.....I called autoparts store and they said they could order one for around 49.00.....so I know one exists.
Please help with locating the power window relay and with determining if a relay would cause only some windows to not work.....Thanks.

JT

Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 AM

OH - great...that helps...

Old 08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

discard what Might says.. welcome to the forums and yes the relay will solve the issue.. before you do that though have you checked the fuses to maker sure they are good and get tester and test the fuse slots to make sure they have current running to them?

Old 08-25-2009, 12:40 AM

Nah - but I will...I've never used a fuse tester, but it doesn't sound too complicated....I found the fuse for the relay, but I haven't located the actual relay. As stated above, someone on wiki says it's in the fuse box under the hood, but the accompanying label has none listed. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Default Power windows...

Originally Posted by 91haydenSI
discard what Might says.. welcome to the forums and yes the relay will solve the issue.. before you do that though have you checked the fuses to maker sure they are good and get tester and test the fuse slots to make sure they have current running to them?

91 Hayden: I have checked the fuses, all were fine except the condenser fan fuse, which I'll replace today....do you know where the actual relay is???

Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jessetread
91 Hayden: I have checked the fuses, all were fine except the condenser fan fuse, which I'll replace today....do you know where the actual relay is???
it is in the fuse box.. if this helps http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=488454 that is what the power window relay looks like.. it wont have a label but it is right beside the radiator fan relay

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Default power windows

Originally Posted by 91haydenSI
it is in the fuse box.. if this helps http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=488454 that is what the power window relay looks like.. it wont have a label but it is right beside the radiator fan relay
Thanks!! I saw a couple of relays in the fuse box under the dash, and you're right, they are not labeled...but one is snapped in in a weird way...the relays in the fuse box under the hood are labeled, but no PW relay under there.....So when you say fuse box, I presume you're talking about the under the dash fuse box....correct?
I really appreciate your help!

I was told that the part number is rc-2203, or rc-2425.....

Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Oh and thanks for the Rock Auto hook up! looks like a great resource!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what i would do.. go to the box under the hood.. you say 1 window works right?? okay so take 1 fuse out get in the car and turn the power on but dont start the engine.. try and roll down the 1 that works.. keeping removing 1 at a time then replacing it untill you take the one out that makes all 4 windows stop working... then you should have the culprit

Old 08-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Could it be the window lock on driver door? Driver side bypasses lock switch. Switch could be stuck closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power windows...one works, three don't