Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Rear Caliper Seized

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Default Rear Caliper Seized

Great forum everyone!....Had great advice my last visit and am hoping for a repeat! Had an estimate done on my 2008 Civic EX...technician said both rear brakes, and rotors need replacing and one of the calipers was seized but didn't mention which one. The passenger side brake change was easy but the left I have a couple questions on. So on the drivers side rear the life of the pad on the inside was significantly lower than the the outside pad. I also noticed the piston on the caliper was out quite a bit but I'm guessing to compensate for needing to push the pad farther to get contact with the rotor due to the minimal pad remaining...? I was able to screw the caliper piston back in but did notice one of the two plungers on the caliper bracket was seized. My main question is do I need a new caliper or just a new bracket w/ hardware or both? Would I have been able to screw the caliper piston back in if it were seized? Thanks much!