Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Replaced timing belt + water pump...car will NOT start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Default Replaced timing belt + water pump...car will NOT start

My water pump started grinding, so I thought it be a good time to replace it, along with the water pump on a 1995 Honda Civic DX 1.5L. (non v-tec).

Now that I got EVERYTHING back where it goes, with new parts, the car will not start! The battery is fine...no problem there. I even tried hooking up jumper cables to give it an extra boost, but to no avail. All the belts are rotating the way they should be when the car is trying to turn on, so no problem there. I took out a spark plug and tested for spark and I HAVE spark, so no problem with the distributor.

The car was running before I did the repairs, but after the repairs, it does not turn over. The belt was put back exactly the way the diagram says to, plus I double checked the part number and it is the correct timing belt...no problem there. I checked all my fuses...no problem there either.

What's left? I am at my wits end here.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 AM

Also to add...

I have not messed with the spark plugs or wires at all. Actually, when I first tried to start the car, it seemed like it was going on, but died quickly and it has not been on again since. There are NO check engine lights on either!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

do you have spark on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke? did you get the timing marks lined up correctly.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 PM

Wait a minute...can I test my car for timing when it is not starting? In other words, by "trying" to start the car (which won't start), can I check with a timing light to see if the marks are hitting their respective marks?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:28 PM

best thing would be to take timing cover back off and re check your timing marks on the cam in reference to crank...... hopefully didn't hurt anything

Did you rotate engine by hand with cover off to make sure everything was in sync? any pics would very helpful too

Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Okay, I drained my battery trying to get my car starter. I installed a new battery! There is fuel, spark, but the car is not turning over. Lets just say that the cam shaft or crank shaft shifted while installing my timing belt (possibly). I cannot think of any other reason for my car not to start. It started perfectly before the timing belt and water pump install and now it won't start. What would I have to do to get the cam shaft and crank shaft realigned to exactly where they should be? Keep in mind, if one of these shifted during installation or I did not have it at TDC, what can I check or what can I fix to solve this problem?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 PM

Issue resolved! I started another thread for the topic, because it was more warranted to start with my discovery of incorrect timing of cam and crank. You can read that thread here:

https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-civic-forum-12/what-if-changing-timing-belt-not-placed-tdc-8826/