Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Service Schedule - Miles or Maintenance Minder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Question Service Schedule - Miles or Maintenance Minder?

I have a 2007 Honda Civic EX with about 72,300 miles on it. I need and oil change with the B13 service. I've been going between two different dealerships depending on which one has screwed up and frustrated me less the last time I had my car in. One of the dealerships is telling me that I need to do a 60k mile major service and might as well go ahead and do the 75k mile mid-range service as well - they didn't happen to mention the 60k major service the 3 times it's been in their shop since I passed 60k miles. The other dealership says the newer Civics with the maintenance minder just tell you what they need and there's no need for the services based on mileage. They said it's just a way for the other dealership to get more money out of my car. My owner's manual says absolutely nothing about the service based on mileage - whether to do it or not.

Seeing as I just dumped my entire last 3 paychecks for odd and completely un-related problems for my car, I'm not really wanting to dump more into it if I don't have to. I do, however, understand the importance of regular maintenance and want to do the necessary service to it so that it will hold up longer and cost less in the future. I really don't want to not do necessary service on my car, and I also don't want to dump unnecessary money into my car, what's the real story here? Do I need to do service based on mileage or not?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. My 07 Fit went out of warranty at 100k (extended.) I have been doing all my own oil and filter changes. It now has 200k mx done so far is valve adjustment. If it is out of warranty you can find any repair shop that you trust or friend recommends to do the oil and filter change. or do it yourself.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

according to my service manager - your maintenance minder adjusts "when" services are due according to conditions.

I drilled pretty deep down and told him i had already had it out with Honda USA over not getting an actual schedule.

He assured me that if I drive in harsh conditions, and tow a boat (like i am) my service will be much more frequently than someone who drives in prefect climate, no towing.

Sounds like your other shop is trying to shaft you - i would contact hondaUSA and take this up with them - if a honda dealer is acting unscrupulously - HondaUSA needs to know and correct this

Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM

A local dealership to me offered a lifetime warranty to a friend. I think it went up to 200,000 miles. Does this sound correct?

Old 04-20-2017, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

normally a dealership will offer warranty when they are caring for the car, but it costs up to 1800 to purchase the extra warranty.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by alexmckay
A local dealership to me offered a lifetime warranty to a friend. I think it went up to 200,000 miles. Does this sound correct?
there are a few dealers here in the tampa area that offer lifetime warranty
It is included with purchase
It is a power train Warranty from an outside insurance company

Lifetime Warranty | Tampa Honda Dealer Serving Brandon FL