Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

Someone tried to steal my car, now my key doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Default Someone tried to steal my car, now my key doesn't work!

Someone tried to steal my 1993 del sol... they used a screwdriver or something and just jammed it in the ignition keyhole trying to start the car and now my key won't work.

Is my only option to buy a replacement ignition keyhole "thing" (sorry, I don't know what it's called)??

I've read that you can drill out the locking pins in the keyhole, but don't know much about it except that afterwards you can use any object to turn the ignition. I need a cheap fix so I can get to work this week and then maybe spend some money to get it fixed.

Any advice??

Old 05-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If someone tried to steal your car, punching out the ignition switch will make it easier for someone else to steal it or the person already wanting your car will see the punched out ignition and will steal it for sure. Suggest you borrow some money and get the ignition replaced, lot less than a stolen car. The theives now days are smart and looking for bad ignitions to steal any car, especially the honda's.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the response. Borrowing money where I am is not really an option, and my car stands out... bad. It was parked in a bad part of town and is normally in a pretty safe spot.

As for someone seeing that the ignition is busted and trying to steal it again, that's what's gonna happen if I don't take it to work with me tomorrow.

I'm desperate enough to just unlock the steering column and hotwire it so I can get to work but I don't know if I have enough time or experience to do that. It has been towed to my house and should be safe here... Arrg. I'm thinking of just going and hammering at it and if I break it too bad, part it out and ride my bicycle.

anyway, thanks for the advice. if anyone has a relatively easy way to get my car started, let me know.