Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

what should I do next for horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Default what should I do next for horsepower?

I have a 2000 civc. I put a ram intake on it and some headers. I didn't go name brand because I am not really "racing" as much as I have a paid for car and I want more horsepower out of. All the time. I don't want to drop a grand into it, just some little things I can do along the way to pep it up. I am not sure what the next step would be and figured this had to be the place to go. So here are my dumb questions:

what should I do next to my car? Cam, intake manifold, throttle body, fuel delivery system and injectors?

please help me get quicker

Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

upgrade the distributor, spark plug wires and spark plugs.. then get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and up the pressure a tad.. then i would get the head shaved ported and polish (which isn't expensive) upgrade the throttle body and probably put a new cam in it and it will feel like a whole different car and wont break your wallet

Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Default listen

step one more horsepower doesn't mean your faster. just means your doors just opened for improvement. i recommend getting adjustable cam gears fairly cheap. port match your throttle body, and high cfm intake manifold. and have a shop remap your ecu on a dyno after ever few mods. keeping up with your tune to match your minor mods is important for peak performance over horsepower.

next step ask when your ready

Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Red face thanks guys

appreciate the advice, but I am not sure of these two things:

1.Are all Cams created equal? I mean I have seen them for 40 on ebay, but if it is going to fall apart or waste my time and money why go there?

2.Is a "cfm" intake manifold a brand or just a general type of intake manifold I need to study up on?

3. should I do these mods all at once or peice by peice ok?

thanks again guys, I will keep you guys up to date on improvments.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Arrow :)

cfm(cubic feet per min). well friend simply slow is the way to go on a proper mild build. get skunk2 manifold run you about $275. cam gears about $75. and finally 75mm port matched throttle body to match the skunk2 manifold(DIY if you know how or read up on it.). then get it dyno tuned for about another $100 dollars. you should be leaping over the 160bhp mark by quite some horsepower after the tune. id say around +8-10bhp and im sure your going to ask why spend so much money for little horsepower? because its not little. believe it or not 10bhp gain is quite an improvement. the reason im telling you to do this because your next steps on this build will be extremely feasible since this setup is in play. Next step will include head port polish, crower retainers valves and springs, after a little more saving up. some crower or comp camshafts, when you get about here this tune will require some special tuning from dyno and ecu experts for a remap for higher revving. well i dont want to get you all worked up over nothing but my point is. trust me your not heading in the wrong direction if your working on the stock head first with a mild build. besides you did want hp first right? im telling you how to go about it. well got any questions call 8048944211

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Default right on

alright, that is some good information. Last thing, for now, is do I need to get these in a speific order to install or wait until I have it all together to begin? I mean I have got about 3 months before I get it all and think about installations. After march I pay my last loan off and I can move a little quicker on the tuning for my girl. Thanks and I will get in touch with you. I'll pop a message before calling.