Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

1998 honda civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Default 1998 honda civic

The a/c clutch on my 1998 honda civic DX will not stay engaged; i.e. it will run and cool sometimes for lengthy periods and then will not engage for lengthy periods. Intermittent and unpredictable. My mechanics can't determine what the problem is. They replaced a switch of some kind and still operates the same.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1998 honda civic

Aloha stumped: welcome to the forum. They may have changed the freon pressure switch ( low freon pressure, clutch disengage) Compressor clutch does not engage at times, check 20a fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box. and the 10a fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box. If the coolant temp is normal, remove the compressor clutch relay from the under-hood. fuse/relay box, and test it. Don't tell your mech what to do, ask him if the items might have been checked or could be the cause. Then the next item would be measure voltage between the terminal of the ecm/pcm and body ground. ( I am using a 02 civic a/c t/s guide )

Old 07-19-2007, 06:55 PM

make sure the engine temp on the car is in the normal range and when you have the car running, make sure when the AC button is engaged that both your electric fans come on, if not, you will overheat causing the AC not to come on due to high pressure.

The A/C system on your car has several components that can cause this problem. As ACmech52 has mentioned, there are safety pressure switches that may keep your compressor from engaging, there is a low pressure switch (not enough freon or freeze condition) and a high pressure switch, (too muchfreon or clogged condenser).

ConnectyourA/C clutch connector to your (+) battery using1 jumper cable, be careful not to short any wires,you should have only 1 red wire connector coming from the AC clutch. If your clutch does not engage, then your clutch magnet is bad or your Clutch clearance is too wide for the magnet to grab the clutch. The limit is 0.50mm +/- 0.15mm.

Leave your car ignition off and motor off, hook the red clutch wire to battery (+), if the clutch does not enagage, hit it in towards the compressor and see if it engages, if it does then your clearance is too wide (from wear) and you need a new clutch or shims to adjust clearance.

Your mechanic should know how to do this if he is a qualified A/C technician.

Good Luck!

Dongss

Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 PM

thanks to acmech52 and Dongss who responded to my problem. My angel of a mother in law died and I have been gone and unable to get to the problem and use your suggestions. Will do so soon I hope. Stumped.
ORIGINAL: Dongss

make sure the engine temp on the car is in the normal range and when you have the car running, make sure when the AC button is engaged that both your electric fans come on, if not, you will overheat causing the AC not to come on due to high pressure.

The A/C system on your car has several components that can cause this problem. As ACmech52 has mentioned, there are safety pressure switches that may keep your compressor from engaging, there is a low pressure switch (not enough freon or freeze condition) and a high pressure switch, (too much freon or clogged condenser).

Connect your A/C clutch connector to your (+) battery using 1 jumper cable, be careful not to short any wires, you should have only 1 red wire connector coming from the AC clutch. If your clutch does not engage, then your clutch magnet is bad or your Clutch clearance is too wide for the magnet to grab the clutch. The limit is 0.50mm +/- 0.15mm.

Leave your car ignition off and motor off, hook the red clutch wire to battery (+), if the clutch does not enagage, hit it in towards the compressor and see if it engages, if it does then your clearance is too wide (from wear) and you need a new clutch or shims to adjust clearance.

Your mechanic should know how to do this if he is a qualified A/C technician.

Good Luck!

Dongss