Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

2007 CRV solenoid or compression issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Default 2007 CRV solenoid or compression issue

Hi, my sister's car started earlier today... But isn't starting now... It makes a steady whistling noise... Either like non compression or solenoid issue... I'm assuming.... Battery is good... Lights stay lit... Don't dim...

Now this car has done this previously and convinced my poor naive sister it was a battery abd replaced it... But get this.... The battery is original equipment.... Never replaced.... They scammed her... So I am trying to at least have an idea to help her from less than ethical mechanics... Not sure if there is a way I can check the solenoid with almost no tools....

Old 01-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Is the steady whistling noise the starter spinning??
And the solenoid not engaging the flywheel??
Is the engine cranking (rotating)??

Old 01-04-2020, 08:53 PM

Hi, Thank you for replying. it's a steady even whistle... Don't think it is engaging flywheel.... But engine is not cranking at all either.... It does sound similar to older cars that lost compression.

I'm posting this on my husband's account.... I have done basic mechanical stuff on my older cars in the past... I don't have much experience with newer cars. Doesn't sound like a starter issue... But I worked on older cars and experienced issues that sounded similar to me... I thinking because of the sound... Timing issue.... Crankshaft Position sensor.... I just don't want her taken advantage of... Already she has been soaked for a battery that was not even changed (the rust/corrosion indicates a very old battery not a newer four month old battery etc) .

I just want her to be somewhat knowledgeable before she gets this car towed because she was charged for a new battery and install... And had no clue it was never changed.

My initial thoughts was a starter or solenoid... But for me I never got this whine/whistle before with a bad solenoid or starter even... I did get that non compression gut feeling when my timing belt/chains crapped out. It sounds much like a lost compression sound if that helps.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 PM

Well, unless the engine cranks or rotates, there will be no compression
And no signal from crank or cam sensors
Timing can not happen if the engine does not go around
The engine needs to be cranked or rotated by the starter for all the other stuff to happen

One might try cleaning the battery posts and cable terminals along with the chassis ground
Then clean the cable terminal on the starter if you can get to it.
Try starting engine

If it is the starter then it is in one of the toughest spots I have seen.
Some replace the starter by going through the top which require removing the in take manifold and a bunch of other stuff
Going from under requires a lift and removing one bracket before getting to the starter

Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 AM

Battery has a solid connection haha... Trust me on this.... If it didn't, it wouldn't have the response of a fully charged battery.

My days of rebuilding engines... Trannys and replacing stuff is long over... At this point I just want to be sure she goes in somewhat knowledgeable so as morally bankrupt mechanics don't see her as a mark... You see... I am flying back home... Across the country... I won't be here after tomorrow.

The thing is... I do know a faulty CPS will cause lack of compression to prevent the motor from turning over when timing is off.... It's a safety thing to protect the engine from damage on some cars if the timing is off.... I have no experience with Asian cars.... My knowledge is with Domestic and some European makes. I just don't want her taken advantage of... They will try... They previously tried with me (a quiet woman) until they realized I knew more about ICEs than just putting gas in and driving. I also was able to determine frauds and steer clear but this Isnt my home here... I don't know who is reputable here and leaving soon and the closest Honda dealer is over 3 hours away. So best I can do... Is give her a bit of education going in to prepare her in case someone tries scamming her again.

I wrote down codes and gave her all your info about solenoid etc as well as my gut feelings about CPS failure. This car has over 150,000 miles... It isn't uncommon for some to have CPS or solenoid issues... This car hasn't given her a spot of trouble until the non "battery" problem....

Thank you so much for your feedback... I wish I were younger and had more time.... I'd take it in (how it) myself and handle it.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:45 PM

I am sometimes called to follow my female friends to the mechanics
Sometimes I translate from English so my friend can understand the faults in the car
Other times, they want me there to prevent the mechanic from trying anything dubious

When younger, I have had my share of places with disrespect for the customer
Asking for a simple oil change and being told to come back in a half hour.
Said I would wait and they refused to do the oil change
Never went back there. I like to see what is being done.

Of course not all places are like that.
It is just a shame that some people put such a bad name for this business