Honda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Honda Civic Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HCF? Tell us here.

Did I blow my head gasket or is it something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Default Did I blow my head gasket or is it something else?

91 CRX 1.5L
Saturday while driving home from work I was going up a really big hill, tachnically a mountain, and my car started sputtering. Didn't over heat or anything was just acting weird. The next day it wouldnt start. I thought maybe it was bad gas because I used a different station than usual. Got some gas cleaner and let it sit. Next day it fired right up, but there was white smoke coming from the exaust. I checked the oil and noticed it was high, so I changed the oil and filter with the right amount of oil. No smoke! Everything seemed fine, drove it around the block after idling for 20 min. Seemed to work great. About an hour later I took it for a test drive and after about a mile it was overheating. The temp shot all the way up very quick. I got it home and checked the coolant... Didn't lose any, and didn't see oil in it. Also checked the dipstick and didn't see any coolant/ water in the oil. I can't tell if it is a blown head gasket, opr something else that's causing it to over heat... Any help out there???

Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forum,those are sure signs of a blown head gasket,did you hear any noise like a ticking sound coming from the motor at idle? Is it still blowing white smoke? The coolant in the oil will be a yellow color and kind of a foam.
Do a compression test to give you some idea. Don't confuse low compression for a bad head gasket, though. A bad valve can lower compression. And a bad ring.

Last edited by bucwheat; 11-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Well, I started it again today, let it idle for about 15 min and took it for a 5 mile drive. It started right up, got to normal temp and drove great. I thought maybe it was good. I decided to take it back out just to make sure, but when I started it, there was white smoke coming from the exaust again and wouldn't idle right so i just shut it off. pretty confused to why it would start right up and run great, then if i let it sit for an hour it starts up like a completely different car?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 AM

You may be able to get the head shaved put on a new gasket and maybe OK.