Honda Marine Engines Information on the popular Honda engines in boat use.

Honda BF 200 burningup elec fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Default Honda BF 200 burningup elec fuel pumps

I have an '03 200 that has burned up 3 fuel pumps. I bought the motor used, so Im not sure if this was an issue before I got it. But since I got my hands on it, it has gone thru three fuel pumps. I have also replaced the vapor separator tank with a good condition used one. I have taken the bot out twice and both times I have had fuel pump failure. The scenario is like this: Saturday I was going fishing, (keep in mind I have a brand new high pressure Honda fuel pump), I start up my engine and within a few minutes the PGM-FI alarm sounds. If I turn the engine off and on it will clear up for a few minutes once again. If I run the engine, it runs great and alarm doesnt go off. Well, I have researched this problem and apparently its the O2 sensor...(Im not sure if the O2 sensor is related to fuel pump??) Anyways, I ran offshore for about 30 miles with not issues other than the PGM-FI alarm sounding when I idle. For that reason I had been turning on/off that motor when I was drifting or needed to idle. Well, now Im 35 miles offshore and that particular motor did not want to turn on. Sounded like it was out of fuel. I squeezed bulb and was soft (was able to squeeze it 2-3 times). Engine still did not start. I came back in to port on my other motor. Upon my arrival to dry land, i checked the fuel lines and had fuel going into the vaport separator tank. I took off the bolt on the starboard side to see if there was any fuel coming out with key turned on and nothing! I could hear fuel pump humming, but no spray of fuel. Im at a loss here and would apprciate any help. I had also replaced the fuel filter in the VST and the inline filter and water strainer prior to my trip.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM

I see your post is 6 years old, so don't know if you'll see this, but am wondering if this issue you had sounds anything like the one I'm currently having. We have yet to have the engine not cut back on, but don't really want to wait for that to happen.

https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-m...200-rpm-12536/

If you happen to see this and ever figured out your issue, would love to know what it was!