New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Clutch / Hard Shifting / master cylnder ?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Default Clutch / Hard Shifting / master cylnder ?? HELP

Make: Honda
Model: Civic 03' ex 4r 5speed Manual
Mi: 112,000

First a slight history of the vehicle: Ibought this car with one previous owner@ 28,000 mi so most of the cars lifehas been with me. I bought it without any type of extended warrenties and shortly after ( about 15-20k mi )I noticed a slight grinding noise when shifting from 2nd to3rd in high rpms ( when accelerating quickly, such as when merging into fast hi-way traffic)> all my research ledme to believeI had amalfuntioning syncro(thinkthats howyou spell it).
The dealership offered to remove my trasmission and "inspect" and if any "mechanical error" is apparent a new transmission would be covered but if any sign of "abuse" would mean i'm looking at a new transmission bill$$$ because they would not re-attach my trasmission with earlier knoledge of a problem.

so they basicly told me they will open it up... and when they find some metal shavings
(which they are likely to, i said it WAS grinding) then they will give me back my car with the transmission seperate or charge me to have a new one put in... BULL****!!

As pissed as i was there was very little i could do about it... i paid for a transmission flush in hopes that it would solve the problem, and even had the contents of my trans. filtered to see if there were any metal filings.( no , supprisly there were none) This unfortunatley, did not solve the problem. I chose to ride it out i guess you could say, after all the problem was only apparent when i was in high rpms(5000 and up, right aroud V-tec)... basicly racing it, and i kinda baby my car anyway... sometimes going months without hearing the grind from 2nd to 3rd.

Around 90K mi i notices the grind began to happen at lower rpms(3000-4000) and Finally about 3 years/70K/mi after this problem reared its ugly head something finally snapped where my linkage for my gear selector bolts into the transmission. Shifting gears was like mxing soup, really i didn't shift anything and my car was stuck in 3rd gear!

the begining of the end so i had to get new transmission because the bolt from the linkage caused some damage when it snapped off.....

Luckily i was able to get a transmission with less than 10k mi on it.... and things have been great for the last 10-15k mi since the trans. switch.

THE NEW PROBLEM: driving along one day on the highway about to hit my exit i tried to downshift from 5th to 4th when i found it hard to get into any gear. all my research lead me to believe it was just air in my cluch line ( hydrolic clutch ) I bleed the air out(Dirty fluid)- and all was well for two days... NOW it seems to be the same problem ... hard shifting, my clutch seems to be working fine but thats only when i'm able to select a gear///

so i guess here is my question>.... I"m hoping this is simpy a clutch master cylnder fix ( an air leak due to corroded o-rings mabey?) but i'm fearing i have a serous clutch issue...
i'm goin to inspect the clutch master and slave tommorrow.... any ideas in the meantime?????? pls

Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Default RE: Clutch / Hard Shifting / master cylnder ?? HELP

here i go ... answering my own questions.... mabey...

is there a chance my master cylinder is letting air in ... but not leaking any fluid....
i check the fluid levels ... the first time theinner rubber was sucked out a bit and the lvl was a bit low ( at the min ) but now the fluid stays where it is ... and air keeps getting in... i think if i bleed it again it would be ok... but not for long...

master?? mabey slave??? help!