New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Navigation Failure after 23K miles, no Honda assistance

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 03:22 PM
Angry Navigation Failure after 23K miles, no Honda assistance

We have a 2017 Ridgeline with Navigation. I am 76 years old on fixed income and have had many Hondas, mostly Accords. The Nav had been working well and I was pleased. Then at the time for an update, the screen went bizarre. The words telling me to go to Garmin were extremely small with a screen full of bright blue logos. When I called the dealer, they said they did not do updates and to use the website. The instructions gave no hints what to do with my problem, so I took it to my local Houston dealer to get updated any way They said it was a hardware failure that would require replacing the whole Nav unit. It seemed to me to obviously be a software, not hardware problem. They were adamant. Considering that it was only recently out of warranty and it had only 23,500 miles, I asked that Honda provide some financial assistance. The dealer contacted the regional manager and failed. I then went to a second dealer, who also said that even though it may be software failure, the unit would have to be replace. Again, at my request they went to the lady regional manager for assistance, who said no was still no.
It seems her totally legal solution, sure fell short of a timely customer service solution. Not cool!

Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that Honda did not give you any type of assist. they probably turned down the assist due to over 36 months warranty time. Have you tried American Honda to file a complaint and or some possible relief.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:06 AM
Default Moving on

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that Honda did not give you any type of assist. they probably turned down the assist due to over 36 months warranty time. Have you tried American Honda to file a complaint and or some possible relief.
Thank you for your concern and comments . I paid the full price for the new Nav system, which is now working fine. At this point, I plan to remember, and just move on without further follow up.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by balntn
We have a 2017 Ridgeline with Navigation. I am 76 years old on fixed income and have had many Hondas, mostly Accords. The Nav had been working well and I was pleased. Then at the time for an update, the screen went bizarre. The words telling me to go to Garmin were extremely small with a screen full of bright blue logos. When I called the dealer, they said they did not do updates and to use the website. The instructions gave no hints what to do with my problem, so I took it to my local Houston dealer to get updated any way They said it was a hardware failure that would require replacing the whole Nav unit. It seemed to me to obviously be a software, not hardware problem. They were adamant. Considering that it was only recently out of warranty and it had only 23,500 miles, I asked that Honda provide some financial assistance. The dealer contacted the regional manager and failed. I then went to a second dealer, who also said that even though it may be software failure, the unit would have to be replace. Again, at my request they went to the lady regional manager for assistance, who said no was still no.
It seems her totally legal solution, sure fell short of a timely customer service solution. Not cool!
I’m with you on this one. It is an absolute disgrace that Honda refuses to provide any sort of assistance after this type of failure.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by balntn
Thank you for your concern and comments . I paid the full price for the new Nav system, which is now working fine. At this point, I plan to remember, and just move on without further follow up.
It’s a shame you had to pay for it. I really hope it’s working the way a customer like you deserves.