New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

new here

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Default new here

hi. my name is RJ. i am from outside atlantic city, nj. i am 21 years old and a senior in college and i have a family (a daughter and a son that will be here in the next couple weeks). why i am here is because i may be starting a career that requires about a 75 mile commute (each way, 5 days a week). i know an okay amount about cars and i know hondas are very reliable. as you can see in my login name, i drive a VW now. it is a 2003 gti nicely tuned for the street on the stock turbo getting about 250 hp and 300 tq at the flywheel. I dont want to put all that mileage on that car cause of the money i have in it so i am looking for a nice reliable DD with good gas mileage.

i would want to get my hands on a late 80's - mid 90's accord. civic would work too i guess. either way, i am looking for common problems found in these cars.. if there is anything specifically to look for when going to purchase... how many miles is too many? auto or manual trans hold up better? (i would perfer manual but it seems to be harder to find) what are the costs of rebuilds? so and on so forth. also, if there are any websites specifically for honda classifieds.

hope ya can help me. thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: new here

aloha turbovdub, looking for cars, craigslist.org ebay.com yahoo autos if you look into the internet search, you may find more, you can go to car auctions from tow yards or auctions where dealers turn in their cars to be sold at a lower price. to look for, go to edmunds.com there is a section to read about buying used cars. Auctions cars you must know what you want to buy and what the costs are. Milage on cars depends on how the previous owner takes care of it.Ex: I had a 85 nissan king cab, I sold it at 375k, with a spare engine w/32k miles not installed. the last I heard, it has 425k + miles on the original engine, paint faded for lack of polish, still running strong. Hondas go 225k and still feels strong. I have also seen 47k and the engine needed overhaul. So depends on how it was cared for in the past, just inspect it, drive it hard to test, and take your time to purchase.