New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

new here/ need help with my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 AM
Default new here/ need help with my truck

hey im new on this site, but quite familiar with a lot of stuff automotive, ive been turning wrenches on and off for a lotta years and mainly stuck with performance and ecm type issues!!! there's a lotta things i can probably help out with,pertaining to these aspects, also i am really familiar with audio and interior electronics systems. im at a loss however with my new (new to me) passport, i really love the hell outta this truck,but some things are driving me nuts.........(i posted a thread about them) and have no luck as of yet!!!! i bought a 1996 passport 4x4 3.2 auto, and had to change out the e.g.r valve,and have driveability issues that im uncertain about, like in park or neutral the rpms shoot up to 2200 to 2500 without a check engine light, the truck runs smooth as can be however,(its really got me at a loss) ive scanned it and ecm shows no recognition of any codes, initially i was believeing there was a vacuum issue,as the cruise control doesnt hold speed/rpms, but like i said it runs smooth as can be!!!!also it wont engage 4x4 the light on dash that indicates 4x4 active lights up on start up, but when i shift from 2h to 4h/4l the transfer case and/or front end doesnt lock up,nor do wheels pull (no 4x4) boo-hiss so if there is/are any people who can help with this it would be greatly appreciated!!!!! also if anyone has any issues that fall under my specialties get back to me and ill try to help ya out ......thanks-pitbull

Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forums. sorry about the delayed posts.. as for the idling issue i would check the PCV valve or the throttle position sensor.. yes i know no codes came up but sometimes either one of these can go out with no codes.. as for the 4x4 the passport has a common problem with the switch and sometimes the servo motor failing on the backside of the transfer case. The contacts corrode on the inside of the switch. The lights on your dash may start flashing at you or not even turning on when you switch it into 4 high or 4 low. You can clean the contacts and it might get you by for awhile.