New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Default Oil pan gasket

1992 civic 1.5L CX, 5 speed trans.

This will be my first time changing out the oil pan and gasket. I wanted to know if I need to apply anything to the gasket itself or leave it dry. I know with most gaskets you need to apply silicone. Help Me Please!!!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Default RE: Oil pan gasket

yea you need to put silicone to make sure that i doesnt leak and yea if you dont apply it sooner or later it will break and and leak oil

Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Oil pan gasket

The Steps here show oil-pan gasket replacement on a front-wheel-drive car. The job is somewhat straightforward but can be messy. Be conscientious of a few potential pitfalls: Try not to bend the oil pan when removing it. Attempting to pry the pan loose with a screwdriver can bend the mounting surface. Tapping it with a mallet can actually crack the pan if all bolts aren't out. (Double-check the bolt count and locations in the manual if the pan doesn't release easily.) Once the oil pan is off the vehicle, check it for metal shavings to reveal other potential problems. Also clean all sludge out of the pan and inspect for cracks before reinstalling it.
1.Obtain the appropriate replacement gasket. Gasket materials vary depending on what types of metals they're intended to seal. Name-brand gaskets come with any necessary sealants.
2.While the oil is draining remove the splash shield and bellhousing cover.
3.In front-wheel drive vehicles, the oil pan is often mated to the transaxle. Other accessories such as exhaust-manifold support and air-conditioning bracketry might need to be detached, too.
4.A service manual helps identify all oil-pan bolt locations. Some might be obscured behind other parts.Removing the wheel-well-liner pieces eased access to the outboard passenger's side bolts on this vehicle.
5.Once all bolts are removed, the pan can be dropped. If necessary, tap it lightly with a mallet to break the seal.
6.Scrape off any gasket residue and clean all sealing surfaces thoroughly with a solvent. 7.Also clean the inside of the oil pan and inspect it for cracks. Then install the new gasket per its instructions. This one uses regular grease to hold it in position.
8.Use thread sealer if specified then torque oil-pan bolts to spec in a spiral pattern, beginning in the center. Reattach any accessory brackets, refill the crankcase with oil, start the engine and inspect for leaks.
Hope, this would help, since I have also done the same thing when I have replaced my Honda oil pan…Good luck buddy…