New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

Tips\Things to know about owning 87 CRX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 08:12 PM
Default Tips\Things to know about owning 87 CRX?

I recently bought an 87 CRX a few days ago with 160xxx miles on it, mainly to learn how to drive manual. I have little experience and very little knowledge on cars. Does anyone have any tips on how to maintain it and anything else in general?

Old 11-30-2021, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. need to find out if the timing belt has been replaced. if and when the belt needs to be changed, change the water pump, cam and crank seals. also the tensioner. put some sea foam in the fuel tank to help clean/clear the fuel system. don't attach any other extra keys to the ignition key. if you get a chance get yourself a honda service/repair manual, that shop manual will save and help do a lot of work and train you about your car. Enjoy your ride.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. need to find out if the timing belt has been replaced. if and when the belt needs to be changed, change the water pump, cam and crank seals. also the tensioner. put some sea foam in the fuel tank to help clean/clear the fuel system. don't attach any other extra keys to the ignition key. if you get a chance get yourself a honda service/repair manual, that shop manual will save and help do a lot of work and train you about your car. Enjoy your ride.

Thank you for your response. I’d have to check the service report on when last the timing belt was replaced. I also wanted to know how do I get rid of rust and keep it off? And how often should I wax the body?

Old 12-01-2021, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

the correct way to get rid of rust is to grind it out or cut it out. easy way is to get a wire wheel and brush it out, then primer the metal. if you can get hold of any chemical that can be used to coat the raw metal it would be good then primer the area until ready to paint the whole car. i use to wax my car every 3 months due to parked in the hot ca. sun. Polishing compound, then carnuba a wax.