Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

2002 Odyssey Ignition Key Cylinder Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 09:27 PM
Default 2002 Odyssey Ignition Key Cylinder Issues

My 2002 Odyssey has developed starting problems over last couple of months. First it was cranking but not firing. Would need to repeat three of four times before it fired. Then, key would not turn at all and I would need to jiggle steering to get key to turn. Last week, key would not turn at all, and I had to wrestle violently with steering to get key to turn. Once it fires, everything is peachy. It is a hit or miss thing. Every day now, I have anxiety whether the key will turn or if I will have to fight the steering wheel. Me thinks its the ignition lock cylinder mechanism. Took it to a local shop - they want $800+tax to replace lock cylinder and immobilizer and reprogram the latter. My questions are:
1. Does the lock cylinder, ignition switch and immobilizer have to be changed as a group or can they be changed separately?
2. Is replacement of lock cylinder and immobilizer something one can do oneself, or is it best left to a shop? what would you advise?
thanks much in advance for your replies

Old 10-13-2021, 08:03 AM

The lock cylinder and immobilizer are separate units and can be changed independently.
This is a simple DIY project. But, check a few youtube videos to become familiar with the process.
Then if you feel up to the challenge try but be aware that something usually comes up to stop us from completing the project.
Before attempting such a task, have you tried spraying lubricant into the lock cylinder?? 10-wd40 can help.
Does the green key light come on and then go off when cranking engine?
If it flashes then the immobilizer is not reading the key.