Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

2016 Odyssey automatic sliding doors problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Default 2016 Odyssey automatic sliding doors problem

This issue is driving me insane. Starting this summer when it's 95deg out, when the minivan is parked in the sun, the automatic rear doors won't open using keyfob, control panel, or even the handle. (yes I can manually force the door open). Every time this happens, it's the same scenario, it's hot out and parked in the sun, but the problem is, it doesn't happen every time I try and reproduce it. The entire summer, it happened 5 times. I've already taken it to the dealer who said they couldn't reproduce it and hence don't know what to fix. Since I'm under warranty, I'd prefer to have the problem be worse and consistent so it can get fixed. But now that summer is over, I'm afraid it won't reproduce before the warranty runs out.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum have you checked the battery condition in the fob. if its not the fob, document what when where the slide door does not work with the fob,. date , time, temp, etc

Old 09-28-2018, 11:54 PM

Yes, certain it's not a fob battery problem.
  • July 11th, 2018. 97 degrees. First time noticed the problem. Car was parked outside for about 4 hrs due to work being done on water heater in garage. Keyfob wouldn't work. Panel wouldn't work. Panel worked after starting the car.
  • July 25th, 2018. 104 degrees. 1.5 hrs parked. Keyfob and Panel wouldn't work. Door handle when pulled wouldn't work. 5 min drive home, then it worked after. Of note, during the drive, because the handle was pulled, the "door open" warning light was on but couldn't get the car door closed.
  • July 27th, 2018. 100 degrees. Parked an afternoon. Keyfob and panel wouldn't work. Door wouldn't work. Panel still wouldn't work after starting car. 20 min drive home, then it worked after
  • August 18th, 2018. 95 degrees. Keyfob and panel wouldn't work. Handle would not trigger the auto doors but could manually be opened and closed.
  • September 27th, 2018. 100 degrees. Keyfob wouldn't work. Door panel didn't work immediately, but worked after a few presses. After that keyfob worked.
In between those dates, despite similar temperatures, I didn't have any issues. I couldn't be for sure if it's because there's some light shade from a nearby tree or something. Like I said, it's not exactly reproducible, but every time it occurs, it's hot out and parked in the sun.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

if your car is still under warranty keep after honda to fix it. with the way the temp affecting the door, beginning to sound like the relay for the door motor. i would only be guessing as i did with the fob, i had the same problems with a diff brand mini van. ( fob batt corrosion, then relay later )

Old 09-30-2018, 05:02 AM

Thanks. Yea I just made another appt to get it looked at. Appreciate the insight. Gives me something to say to the service people on possibly what to check.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Default 2018 sliding door problem

I have a similar sliding door problem in hot weather. Attempting to close the door from driver dashboard, the door starts to close then re-opens. The problem repeats until I get out of car and manually close. It only happens occasionally and can be either door but is frustrating when letting passengers out and then wanting to drive.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:28 AM
Default Same

We are having the exact same issue with our 2016 Odyssey. It happens intermittently first thing in the morning in both extreme heat and extreme cold. Dealership says they can’t diagnose it unless it happens in their presence. So frustrating!

Originally Posted by DJFlare99
This issue is driving me insane. Starting this summer when it's 95deg out, when the minivan is parked in the sun, the automatic rear doors won't open using keyfob, control panel, or even the handle. (yes I can manually force the door open). Every time this happens, it's the same scenario, it's hot out and parked in the sun, but the problem is, it doesn't happen every time I try and reproduce it. The entire summer, it happened 5 times. I've already taken it to the dealer who said they couldn't reproduce it and hence don't know what to fix. Since I'm under warranty, I'd prefer to have the problem be worse and consistent so it can get fixed. But now that summer is over, I'm afraid it won't reproduce before the warranty runs out.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Old 12-12-2020, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jenny Cuevas
We are having the exact same issue with our 2016 Odyssey. It happens intermittently first thing in the morning in both extreme heat and extreme cold. Dealership says they can’t diagnose it unless it happens in their presence. So frustrating!
2 years ago, I took the van to the original dealer I bought it at after my local dealer wasn't helpful. By this time, I had a line by line item similar to what I posted above of specific scenarios when it would occur, but there were more occurrences. I kind of lucked out. The tech that was assigned my car has been working for Honda for 20+ years and actually came out and asked me specific questions. (Cuz usually you just talk to the front service people, and never actually to the tech). Anyways, since it was both keyfob and panel, and it's ALWAYS both sliding doors when it occurs, he figured it had to be the switch itself. So he just changed out the switch. This was 2018. 2019 summer, I purposely parked it outside the sun, and it never occurred again. Can't really say this year as we didn't go out much due to COVID, but so far so good.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

thank you for the feed back, hope this will help other members.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:08 AM

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by DJFlare99
2 years ago, I took the van to the original dealer I bought it at after my local dealer wasn't helpful. By this time, I had a line by line item similar to what I posted above of specific scenarios when it would occur, but there were more occurrences. I kind of lucked out. The tech that was assigned my car has been working for Honda for 20+ years and actually came out and asked me specific questions. (Cuz usually you just talk to the front service people, and never actually to the tech). Anyways, since it was both keyfob and panel, and it's ALWAYS both sliding doors when it occurs, he figured it had to be the switch itself. So he just changed out the switch. This was 2018. 2019 summer, I purposely parked it outside the sun, and it never occurred again. Can't really say this year as we didn't go out much due to COVID, but so far so good.

Quick Reply: 2016 Odyssey automatic sliding doors problem