Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Airbag cover removel

Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Default Airbag cover removel

I am installing an aftermarket backup camera and I need to run a wire in the side airbag cover. How do I safely remove the side airbag cover?

Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Welcome in,a little more info might help with the problem,what type car and year, I'm assuming you mean the drivers airbag?

Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM

It’s a 2006 Honda Odyssey. Actually, I’m talking about the side airbag on the passenger side. I just want to know if I can safely remove the panal that hides the airbag, in order to run a wire behind the panal. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 PM

I could not find any info on the Odyssey but I did remove the side from and accord and it just pops off with a little help from a panel tool or a taped up screw driver,just be careful with the plug.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:57 PM

What do you mean “be careful with the plug”? I saw somewhere that you pull the plug to take off the panal, but how do you loosen the plug?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 PM

The plug I in countered had two squeeze points on the sides,some plugs have one and I have seen them that had a sleeve that slides down. Just play with it you will figure it out .

Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 PM

I know this is an old thread and the problem probably has been resolved, but if not, and for the benefit of others who may now have a similar problem, this is what I found when my '05 Sienna was leaking water from that airbag "button" as well as from the map lights in the ceiling: the drain plugs for the moon were clogged and had to be cleaned out. On the Sienna there was a drain about the diameter of a nickel in each front corner of the tray, accessible when you open the moonroof. You have to be very careful in cleaning them that you don't dislodge the tubing from the drain, which would cause a major issue in reattaching them. Take it to a dealer or, better yet, if available a sun/noonroof shop to seen if they will clean them. I took a flexible piece of small tubing and carefully threaded down through the drain and dislodged debris. But, where that drain tube curves down if you aren't careful you could be poking the tube off the drain and be screwed. If you meet resistence in the first inch or so, you may be poking the drain tube, not debris. After clearing any obstruction, pour a cup full of water into the tray and watch for the water to drain out behind the front wheel. If it drips out, you've unclogged it. Caution also: it's risky to use high pressure air to blow out the drain as it may blow the drain tube off. Note also, that we never used the moonroof, still when I opened it to check the drains there were leaves and dirt in there--go figure.