Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

sliding door looking for a closer fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Default sliding door looking for a closer fix

After a VERY long time I have finally figured out what MY driver side closer problem is. I refuse to change parts just because - now I am very aggravated with Honda planned obsolescence.
My closer works fine when I test it on the bench. The motor runs, the gear is fine, the cable is not broken, the controller is not confused. After removing it for the 5th time I finally noticed the plastic covering the latch mechanism....
PLASTIC???? yes, and after 10 yrs it disintegrates.
Looking at the latch end of door, one can see the white plastic. It is covering the U shaped steel latch. When it falls apart the space enlarges. There is a bump in the plastic at the bottom of the U. Without that bump (space filler) the bar on the door will not push the latch back far enough to trip the switch that runs the closer motor. The bar cannot be moved far enough out to make it work. I need about another 1/16th of an inch.
I checked the passenger side and sure enough that one is about to stop working as its plastic is also crumbling.
I have not figured a way to fix this without replacing the whole mechanism.
IF U HAVE A METHOD, please let me know.
Thanks Honda.