Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic... just about anything goes.

Legality of HID Headlights in Pennsylvania?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Default Legality of HID Headlights in Pennsylvania?

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site and want to say hello. I also have a question that I can't seem to find a definite answer to. The question I have concerns the legality of HID headlights in my state of Pennsylvania? I've even called a State Trooper Barracks and they said they didn't know!! They told me to go to PennDot but trying to navigate their website is a lesson in futility. There is a company by the name of XenonPro.com that sells conversion kits for most of the model cars on the road today. Their conversion kits for low beams are 6,000 lumens and come in a few colors, but I'm interested in bright white. I've read on one of the online information sites that had said they were illegal is because of the headlight lenses not being designed for the HID bulbs and which have a tendency to scatter the light and blinding other drivers. Can anyone here give me a definite answer, either yes or no if they are legal in Pennsylvania? Thanks for your help!!!

Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 AM

in my opinion , these kind of lights should be banned across all 50 states

Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM

I'm not sure but I agree. I think they are not that good!

Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Pennsylvania law states that HID kits are not legal because their classified as aftermarket modifications. you can change your headlights if you get ECE R99 Certification. need to find a shop that is qualified to do this. it is not cheap.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Welcome in,as a former law dog they instructed us to hold a white piece of paper in front of the headlight if it shows a blue tint color it's illegal.most states don't I enforce this law because of the variance of different bulb strength . I never pulled anyone over unless the light was too bright for on coming vehicles. I'm thinking about changing to something a little brighter in my F150,the factory bulbs lack in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 AM

when an oncoming vehicle just about blinds you with these type of lights , it's not a good thing . I rode in a friends truck that has these lights and I cannot see the advantage..to me it really doesn't light up anymore than standard head lights would..somewhere along the line the light manufactures are making a ton of money on something that is dangerous to oncoming traffic..but I guess I shouldnt be surprised as long as money is being made , its doesn't much matter

Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM

The bad thing about these trucks is if the are raised at all the lights are higher off the ground and directly in the eyes of oncoming cars. When they raise theses trucks the adjustment of lights should be a law.