Other Honda Cars and Trucks Don't see your vehicle listed above yet? This is the place for your information.

88 CRX HF stalling out and spuddering.....

Old 05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Default 88 CRX HF stalling out and spuddering.....

i have an 88 CRX HF that's all stock. about a month ago i noticed that under hard acceleration, in 2nd and 3rd gear and at 3000+ rpms, the tach would drop quickly and the car would spudder. if you let off the gas a little bit, it would stop. so after having to deal with that for a while, i got new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. the cap and the wires i didn't get to install though. the cap needs an external coil, which i just bought but didn't get a chance to install and the wires weren't the right ones, so i had them sent back and i'm waiting for the new set. so i installed the plugs and the rotor, and took it for a test run and there were no problems whatsoever. it ran really smooth for a change.then last week it was raining like all week and weekend and it started back up again, but now it's even worse. then this past weekend, it actually stalled out on me and wouldn't start back up. i eventually got it to start back up again after a few mins. it did start though and then it would stall out as soon as you gave it some gas. but i managed to getting it running and get it home. so i figured the plugs must be arcing somewhere because of all the rain and water, but yesterday i tried driving it, and it's been rain free and dry out for 2 days, and it stalled out once again. so now i think it might be the fuel pump.
if anyone has any ideas on what it could be, or have any input on what i should check, i would greatly appreciate it. and any information on how to do it would also be great. i am mechanically inclined, so doing work myself is not a problem. and i have a few friends who are going to school to be mechanics too so they could help if i needed it. anyways, any help would be great.

i drive about 75 miles a day, and i'm now stuck driving my truck which gets 16 mpg on a good day, lol.