Other Honda Cars and Trucks Don't see your vehicle listed above yet? This is the place for your information.

89 crx si

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Default 89 crx si

I just bought an 89 crx si it's motor/tranny/exhaust is all stock besides a cold air intake. I have been reading page after page on engine swaps, i don't know if i should switch out my d16a for a d16 zc sohc vtech or a b16a dohc vtech. I have heard the d series have no potential but than I have seen d series engines with turbos installed and different ecu's etc...I'm a poor college kid obsessed with cars and I want to make my car quicker and spending not TOO much, if i keep the d16a sohc non-vtech if it has potential or should i not even bother and save up to get the b16 put in. please help me.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 89 crx si

welcome to the forum: Suggest you save your money for college and use the car for its main purpose, your ride. When you have saved a lot of extra money, buy yourself a performance car like a si with 190+ hp and still have a driving fast car. if 190+ is not strong enough, you can do what I'm dreaming to do, Put a 600 hp k-20 in to my Fit after the warranty is up at 100,000 miles. Do the light stuff, intake, exhaust, hood, if you want to do things yourself.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 AM

theres a 89 crx ive found for sale. theres has been nothing done to the motor but still like its in great condition, so i was just wondering, if i were to buy this car, what problems should i look out for or what parts might i need to replace in order to keep this almost 20 year old car running? or would you even recommend buying it at all?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

If you can get the car at a very reasonable amount,( any car running is good for 500.00as said in a tow yard.) before you buy, might find out the following items. When was the timing belt, water pump, crank and cam seals were last change. These seem to be a common change item each 60k miles Also the fuel pump is a soft spot. and Last tune up, spark plugs, wires, distributor/coil. These are good cars, lots of young people like them. Good milage car.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 PM

i say buy a 2.2L vtec engine from a 98 accord orr swap it for an acura engine. ther one they are both good and i would put ither of them in my car. i am 18 and i have a 92 accord on the go and im going with the 2.2 vtec with a turbo.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Default re:89 crx

no you have a great motor for a vtec build get a set of y8 heads they are vtec and you rebuild the engine strap on y8 heads port the heads first get mpi and new fuel pump new water pump new oil pump all new gaskets some good hi heat sealent, ect full rebuild, you can send it to a shop get it all done for about $800 and you will have a mini me swap pushin enough horse power to make you fly,