Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2004 Honda Pilot - Transmission Automatically shifts to Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 PM
Default 2004 Honda Pilot - Transmission Automatically shifts to Neutral

First time posting and looking for some insight into a problem I'm having with my 2004 Honda Pilot. I'm not very mechanically inclined and typically have my service performed by professionals outside of some simple DIY concerns with my Pilot.

For the past few months, while driving, my Pilot will shift from D to neutral unannounced. It typically happens when travel at lower speeds. Most of the time it occurs when I shift from R to D or remain in D and come to a near stop ( for stop signs in the city or traffic). I do not touch my gear lever bit it's as if my engine unexpectedly switches to Neutral. I'll hit the gas and my engine revs but does not move. I can immediately fix the problem by applying the brake, switching out of D into park, and then back into Drive. It then moves forward.

I checked and my transmission fluid levels are good. There is not any maintenance lights on suggesting a problem.

Does someone have any insight into what the problem might be? I don't necessarily want to do the service myself, but would like a little guidance if I need to take it in to a transmission or service center. If I can at least talk like I know what might be going on, I feel i can guide their service instead of being taken advantage of.

What could the problem be? How should I address this?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum Honda dealership may have to reprogram your computer.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SShewwy
First time posting and looking for some insight into a problem I'm having with my 2004 Honda Pilot. I'm not very mechanically inclined and typically have my service performed by professionals outside of some simple DIY concerns with my Pilot.

For the past few months, while driving, my Pilot will shift from D to neutral unannounced. It typically happens when travel at lower speeds. Most of the time it occurs when I shift from R to D or remain in D and come to a near stop ( for stop signs in the city or traffic). I do not touch my gear lever bit it's as if my engine unexpectedly switches to Neutral. I'll hit the gas and my engine revs but does not move. I can immediately fix the problem by applying the brake, switching out of D into park, and then back into Drive. It then moves forward.

I checked and my transmission fluid levels are good. There is not any maintenance lights on suggesting a problem.

Does someone have any insight into what the problem might be? I don't necessarily want to do the service myself, but would like a little guidance if I need to take it in to a transmission or service center. If I can at least talk like I know what might be going on, I feel i can guide their service instead of being taken advantage of.

What could the problem be? How should I address this?

Thanks!
Hello. did you manage to solve the problem?