Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2010 Honda Pilot p0300, P0301,P0302, P0303 code

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 AM
Default 2010 Honda Pilot p0300, P0301,P0302, P0303 code

Good Morning,

A Few days ago I bought a 2010 Honda Pilot.

To begin with the truck has about 178k miles. when i started the truck the first time it was smoking a lot.

The first thing I did is change the spark plugs and coils since there was a misfire.

the previous owner told that cylinder 1 and 4 has new plugs already, so i started with nr. 2 and here is what i found:

the next plugs were not as bad, after replacing all plugs i started the truck and i was SMOKING a lot (grayish smoke)

i decide to flush the engine, after i did that i replaced the engine oil and filter.

But once i opened the oil cap i realize the inside was VERY dirty,

So i proceed to open the valve cover and might as well adjust the valves.

The valve covers did not look good to say the least,

but i cleaned them

So after i adjusted the valves I put everything back together, the truck was making less noise,

however the smoke remain.the net day i decided to take her on the road for a test drive,

i reset the codes start the truck that was smoking for a while, after a few minutes looks like it's a normal smoke, however when i start it again afte a while the smoke comes back

so i drove it for few miles, NO CHECK engine however after about 5 miles the truck loose power, check engine came on with p0300, P0301,P0302, P0303

basically

The Spark Plugs are new (BOSCH)

The coils are new (i'm not sure about the brand since the previous owner bought them before selling the truck)

The Valves are adjusted.

As far as i know the timming belt has NOT been replaced, could it be the issue since the misfire occur only with cylinder 1,2,3 ?

I'm not familiar with the VCM System, but is there any chance that this is the issue?

I really appreciate any help

Last edited by pepsih; 05-25-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Looks like the engine was not well maintained.
Maybe do a compression check on the cylinders?
Would look at the spark plugs again to see if they are oil soaked?
Believe the piston rings are worn and cylinders are burning oil?
Could be wrong?
Also, would check the timing belt before it breaks?

Good luck

Old 05-31-2020, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Looks like the engine was not well maintained.
Maybe do a compression check on the cylinders?
Would look at the spark plugs again to see if they are oil soaked?
Believe the piston rings are worn and cylinders are burning oil?
Could be wrong?
Also, would check the timing belt before it breaks?

Good luck
Update:
I checked the compression and CYLINDER 3 had about 130psi whereas all the other onces had 200+ psi.
so i did my "magic", i used an old timer method i put some diesel in the the Cylinder 3, let it sit and the next day i checked the compression and guess what! 200psi.

So the engine HAS GOOD COMPRESSION, I replaced the oil with a new one, then flushed the engine once again, replaced the oil once again with a new filter.

So the truck is still smoking, however after few files the truck don't smoke anymore but when i turn it off and ON after few minutes it smokes in the beginning but then stops smoking.
I drove the truck trying to NOT let the ECO mode kick in, I was able to drive about 5 miles without the check engine and then while i was stopping at the red light, check engine came ON with cylinder 1,2,3...
Could it be the VCM/ ECO mode causing that?

i just ordered the "VCMTUNER II - Advanced" and I really hope that will help.

So basically compression is good,
plugs are new but a little black
coils are new
valves are adjusted.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by pepsih
Update: So the truck is still smoking, however after few files the truck don't smoke anymore but when i turn it off and ON after few minutes it smokes in the beginning but then stops smoking.
Could it be possible that the head gasket is going??
Smokes from coolant entering cylinder 3. Wash down the oil. Low compression.
Add oil, compression returns. As engine heats up, the leak stops for now.

If minor leak then possible to use Blue Devil head gasket treatment

Blue Devil

Only if you are sure it could be a head gasket leak.

Last edited by avisitor; 05-31-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 PM

Could it be possible that the head gasket is going??
Smokes from coolant entering cylinder 3. Wash down the oil. Low compression.
Add oil, compression returns. As engine heats up, the leak stops for now.

If minor leak then possible to use Blue Devil head gasket treatment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z44Rhkuzscw

Blue Devil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2AsFPhPp8

Only if you are sure it could be a head gasket leak.

I dont think it is the head gasket. after my 3 oil changes since i got the truck i would notice the coolant in the oill.
Im not 100% but could it be that the exhaust still has some oil residue ???? (i compare that to a plastic bag that get stuck on the exhaust then it smells bad for a few days but then it's gone)

Old 05-31-2020, 09:42 PM

Fingers crossed .. not a head gasket issue
Meanwhile, enjoy the ride

Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 PM

Fingers crossed .. not a head gasket issue
Meanwhile, enjoy the ride
BIG UPDATE TODAY:
so I find some time to mess around with the pilot,

First of all I installed successfully the VCM MUZZLER II, works great no ECO mode anymore, surprisingly less check engine light,

So when i start the truck I still have a discent amount of smoke,

I drove the truck for a few miles(But more than "usually" ), I must admit i really press the throttle, anyway so I had misfire on cylinder 1,2,3 and P0300 random misfire... I came back home double moved the spark plugs from cylinder 1,2,3 to cylinder 4.5.6 and vice versa, same with the coils.

so anyway i reset it, drove with less than 3k rpm to see if it comes back IT DIDNT FOR few miles and once i pressed full throttle again the truck start to jerk and CHECK ENGINE start to blink, loss of power etc... and misfire on cylinder 1,2,3 So now im sure that there is nothing wrong with the coils and the spark plugs!(which are technically Brand NEW)

what's funny is that the fact that i can really push the truck to the limits for a few minutes up to redline and Noproblem and all of the sudden when i try to accelerate the light comes back on;

During my last "test" when the check engine light came back it did with the VSA and triangle light, i pull to the side, and put it in Park however the engine was running at 2k RPM! I pressed slightly the throttle and it went all the way to 3K and the smoke start to come out from the exhaust! i immediately stopped the truck,

restart it and it smoked at start so i drove away a little and stopped it, reset the check engine and drove back home without any problem for few miles, i even went all the way up to 6k rpm, the light didn't came back...

I let it sit for few minutes, once i start the truck i had some smoke coming out of the exhaust and stopped after a while.

What should be my next step?

Old 06-11-2020, 12:04 PM

Doesn't seem like a vacuum leak cause they usually get better at higher rpms
If the ignition is okay then probably a fuel system issue??
I am still thinking head gasket but what do I know?
Smoke from coolant getting into the cylinders?
IDK. Maybe some else can jump in and help??

Old 06-11-2020, 08:23 PM

So based on the smoke color (BLUE) i tried to check my PCV Valve today, LOOL .
I was very gentle with it, but there is no way i remove it in one piece, i had to remove the valve cover once again,

Old 06-12-2020, 08:46 AM

PCV old brittle and a goner ... nice catch

Could it be okay at idle and a little higher rpm
But at even higher rpm the cylinders are running lean causing the mis-fires??

Quick Reply: 2010 Honda Pilot p0300, P0301,P0302, P0303 code