Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

How do you know your pilot has a factory tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 05:30 PM
Default How do you know your pilot has a factory tow package?

Hi guys, I'm a, hopefully, a future pilot owner. I need some help uncovering the mystery of the tow package. I want to buy a 2015 pilot. Research show the tow package was an option and can tow up to 4500 pounds. The problem I'm facing is how to confirm that a car has a proper tow package that includes the transmission cooler.

I've called several Hondas and they don't know. Even worse Honda and several mechanics ive called don't even sell the transmission cooler aftermarket meaning my only options seems to be to get a pilot with a factory tow package.

Is there some way to verify a car has this tow package installed???

thanks!

Old 05-14-2022, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wrathburn
Hi guys, I'm a, hopefully, a future pilot owner. I need some help uncovering the mystery of the tow package. I want to buy a 2015 pilot. Research show the tow package was an option and can tow up to 4500 pounds. The problem I'm facing is how to confirm that a car has a proper tow package that includes the transmission cooler.

I've called several Hondas and they don't know. Even worse Honda and several mechanics ive called don't even sell the transmission cooler aftermarket meaning my only options seems to be to get a pilot with a factory tow package.

Is there some way to verify a car has this tow package installed???

thanks!
I just purchased a 2022 Honda Pilot, and had a 5000 lbs Honda hitch installed by the dealer (it didn't come from the factor with a receiver hitch). The 5000 lbs hitch installed by the dealer comes with a transmission cooler. So short answer is, if it was installed by a Honda dealer and is Honda OEM equipment, it like has the transmission cooler. If it is an after market hitch, it probably doesn't. Only way to be sure is to have a mechanic verify the vehicle has the transmission cooler before you purchase it.

Last edited by TexAg91; 05-14-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:54 PM

The 2022 Pilot can tow 3500 without the transmission cooler and the Honda hitch is easily installed in your driveway. Though, I would recommend the cooler for towing anything. I didn't get it since I only use it for a bike rack.