Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Pilot Has Clunk Noise Over Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Default Pilot Has Clunk Noise Over Bumps

My new 2018 Pilot has a clunk noise when I drive over uneven pavement or small bumps. This sounds abnormal for a new car. It sounds like it is coming from the chassis or suspension. There is not a rattle or loose part. It is not the tires. Although the tires don't have the best reviews on road noise.

The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong and they wouldn't comment on whether it was an abnormal sound. They were not much help and simply gave it back to me.

I wanted to make sure I was correct about the noise being abnormal. I am retired so I have free time. I test drove a different new Pilot at that dealer. I also drove one at another dealer. They both had the same clunking noise. Then I test drove two competitor's SUVs. They were a much quieter ride. I am 100% sure there is a difference in ride quality.

I guess I will have to put up with it for a while. I would take too much loss to try and sell it this soon after purchase.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? And what did they do to fix it?

Maybe Honda will issue a service bulletin in the near future and fix this so I don't have to sell it. My preference is to have it fixed and keep the Pilot. I will say there are a few things I like about the Pilot over the competition.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. i'm told that the new pilots have a newer style of suspension and they are very harsh and noisy.